Weaning off of headache meds

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi- I am trying to wean myself off of headache meds like excedrin and sumatriptan- I tried to go cold turkey with disastrous results- still recovering from the migraine that ensued and ended up having to take meds after 18 hours of suffering. Has anyone done this successfully?? Any tips on what made the pain of withdrawal any less?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I had to come off Proplanolol and Sumatriptin it was and still is hell. That was four years ago.
  • Posted

I've managed to reduce the amount of sumatriptan I take by taking Pizotifen. Before I was taking up to 12 sumatriptan a month now I find when I get a start of a migraine I can usually get by with taking 2 paracetamol extra. If these don't work then I still have to take the sumatriptan but it's only about a couple of times a month now and my GP has said that this is probably the safest option. I have also reduced the amount of Pizotifen from 3 a day to 2 a day.

• Posted

HI Jackie

i think I heard that you can get rebound headaches taking the over the counter meds like  Excedrine Migraine if taking too much.  I just take a Rizatriptian ODT 10gm at the onset of migraine and try to lay down eyes closed and rest. Sometimes I will take Nausua meds and helps me sleep. If headache continues I will take another Rizatriptian within 24 hours. Would this work for you? . I'm sorry to hear about your withdrawal pain,

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Jackie, I've tried twice, and could not wean of the med's, I asked Dr for supervised support none offered, my nurse said take Magensium Citrate, cleans your system out,  work's like a(laxative), but still not helped ..

Still on Naratriptan ..

Good luck  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.