Weaning off Olanzapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a friend's daughter that was put on Olanzapine(Zyprexa) 5 months ago.  She has always been a happy go lucky person with a lot of energy and no mental issues what so ever.  Last year she found out she has hyperthyroidism and was put on Methimazole.  She also had high blood pressure and was put on lisinopril.  Doctors than prescribed Oandesetron, predinisone, and setraline.  She didn't ask her doctors what all the meds were for and just took them as prescribed.  Well 5 months ago she went through hell and had lost about 40 pounds, and talked so fast that you couldn't understand what she was saying.  She would just go running down the street and could not stay in one place too long.  Somehow she got into seeing a psychiatrist and he prescribed taking Zyprexa.  She now sleeps through the day if she can and no longer socializes with her family and friends.  Her mom is like a sister to me and asked me to talk with her to see if we could see the doctors.  My friend claims that her daughter is no longer the happy go lucky person that she used to be and needs to know how to get her back.  When we went to see the psychiatrist I asked him to take her off the drug.  He said he would wean her off and cut her breakfast dosage of 2.5mg and afternoon 2.5mg off, but keep her on the evening dosage of 10mg.   She has only been on the drug for 5 months.  Can we stop it cold turkey or should she be weaned off it?  I think 10mg is a big dosage.  Please help ...Blessings to all of you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hya sorry to hear your problems.  Why was she put on olanzapine in the beginning? ?. Definitely needs to ween off slowly. 10mg is a lot. 

Taz.  

• Posted

Hi Huireen, gosh I was so sad to hear about your friend's daughter.

It is not a good idea to go off olanzipine cold turkey it needs to be done very

gradually. There is another discussion on this forum where people are discussing how u can successfully start weaning off olanzipine. Marbel and Sack are two people who will give u the advice u need.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi again, the name of the discussion is coming off olanzipine.
  • Posted

hi i am dropping  zyprexa on 15mg a day also on valium three 5mg day and 1mg ativan pristiq 3 -50mgday lithium1200mg day thyroxin 75mg day double at weekends i sleeping all day no concentration dropping zyprexa 1/4mgof the 15mg  want my life back doing it very slow

• Posted

Hi, yes i have fully learnt the important lesson of weaning off slowly.

Good luck!

• Posted

Gosh Ronald u r on so many medications u poor thing. Did u know that valium is not for long term use? It is only meant for short term use like a couple of days even my doctor said that after i had been to a different doctor previously who had me on it for 3 months and i had two minor accidents within two weeks thanx to the lack of concentration that the valium caused and the doctor that put me on it admitted yes it can do that. What a jerk! Yes my anxiety had gone but boy they could have been serious accidents my guardian angels were looking over me and were giving me warnings about the valium. Thank god i'm off it! I hope and pray that u can be medication free just like I am nearly i was on two drugs and i have gone off my mood balancing drug it has been two days now and i cut down to olanzipine to 2.5mgs from 5mgs two nights ago and i am doing well. L-trytophan is my saviour a natural amino acid it encourages the production of serotonin.

Good luck u can do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.