Wearing heels after fusion bunion operation?

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi

Call me vain, but I am very concerned that I apparently won't be able to wear heels EVER if I have a fusion bunion operation.  I'm not talking huge here, but the surgeon said anything over half an inch would not be possible.  Is this really the case?  At present I usually wear shoes with heels of 1 - 1 1/2 inches, so not huge by any means.   I know this is trivial compared to some of the other discussions but, as I have little pain with my bunions and the op would only be to make is possible to wear 'ordinary' shoes rather than being confined to the limited availability and styles of extra extra wide, I am concerned.  I don't want to be still struggling to find footwear!

Thanks for any thoughts. 

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sally, I've said it before on this forum, but my opinion is that if you are not having pain, don't have the operation. I am three and a half months out, and wish I had never had it done. It is just such a long recovery.  I was told this before I had it done, but hearing it and going thru it are two different things.  My foot still hurts; my surgery was not very successful; my foot is always swollen, and I know I have about 9 more mos. of recovery. I would go back if I could, to my slight bunion pain and my very wide heels. I AM wearing heels, probably shouldn't be, but the toe pain is very bad.  Take care. The uncertainly of my future is what bothers me the most. A lot of people (on this forum) have had much success.  Guess I'm a very impatient woman. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Hi Joyce. I am new on this forum and just had fusion two and a half months ago and so regret not finding this before I did it. All I do is cry. I can't wear one shoe in my closet much less my great boots. Are you any better now? Please let me know how you are doing. Thanks. 
    • Posted

My doctor recommended rocker soled shoes they are so ugly but they do help with the swelling
  • Posted

Hi Sally, I was just curious how you're getting on. Are you able to wear high heals now? I have keyhole (minimally invasive) surgery scheduled on both my feet next month. I don't wear high heels every day but if I wear them it's mostly 3" not higher. 
  • Posted

Hi, On 1/04/15 I had big toe fussion opp ( with metal plate and screws) because of severe arthritis and strong pain in this joint. 5 hours after operation I was encouraged to get up and go to toilet- without cruches or any support. First 2 days it was painful but it gave me confidence.

After 2 days I walked out of  hospital on my own legs-( with min pain) wearing special stiff sandal for one week. The only condition was staying IN BED for 23 3/4 hours with leg up ( 15 min a day for toilet etc) .

After 1 week- visit to my surgeon to check my wound and getting permission to wear birkenstocks and runners (roomier once) and changing bandage on my toe.

After 2 weeks- walking around shops and house. No pain at all, foot a bit swallen, but not a big deal. And driving (if comfortable) in rigid sole shoe

After 4 weeks- doing whatever I wish- but will go back to work after ok from Dr after 6 weeks ( phisical job with a lot of walking- going back to office would be earlier- 2 weeks after operation)

At the moment I can wear  wide shoes with1-3 cm heel. In two weeks I am going to see dr.

Till this moment- no regrets, very happy camper: no arthitic pain, no post-op pain

• Posted

Hello' my doctor told me I would be I need a cast for 6 weeks.  I can't believe how quickly you recuperated as I've been told it's very long.  I'm rethinking my surgery and may postpone it as long as I can because I won't be happy if I can never wear short heels and boots again.

• Posted

I am one month post op and I am regretting this so much. I have so many pairs of heels that I just can't believe that I'll never be able to wear again. I am so swollen and the joint is so dang sore that I take motrin everyday. PT makes it worse. I don't think I'll be able to go back to work in three weeks, either. Boo. I need somebody to loan me some patience.
    • Posted

Are you doing any better? I am trying to find a glimmer of hope somewhere. I, too, am in the panic stage of regret. I can never wear any of my heels or boots. My surgeon did not tell me that would happen. I am freaking out! Let me know how you are doing now, if you can, please. Is it EVER reversible? Can it EVER go back to where it was? 
  • Posted

Mine is taking longer to heal. I had my surgery on July 17th in 2014 and I still can't wear heels. I am worried if I won't be able to wear heels.
    • Posted

I had a bunionectomy about 12 years ago with the surgeon wrecking my foot. I had nerve damage and couldn't wear heels. Since then, I found a fabulous surgeon who perfomred a Scarf Osteomy on the same foot doing a fabulous job and no more nerve damage. I'm able to wear heels provided they're no higher than 2 inches. Wishing you the best of luck healing.
    • Posted

Hi, how did you know you had nerve damage? When I have asked the consultant he was a bit vague.
  • Posted

Sally, I had the operation two weeks ago and am having very bad pains. Don't know whether this is from the operation or if it has triggered a relapse of my Multiple Sclerosis. How did you cope with the initial pain? Did the pain last long? I really am fed up already and reading replies from others it looks as though it's going to take longer to recover than I hoped. How long could you walk for early post-op. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to find out what lies ahead.

Sandra

• Posted

Sandra you will feel pain for at least two months while your foot is healing. Don't put any weight on your foot during this period. Best using your crutches. Best of luck with the healing process.
  • Posted

Hi Sally, I had a Scarf Osteomy done just over a year ago and am fine wearing 2" heels provided the shoe isn't too narrow squashing the toes. The ony problem is, I left the 'SPACER' between my toes for a few weeks which I shouldn't have because I now have a permanent space making my foot wider. The little toe keeps getting squashed in my shoes. The surgeon said its too risky re-operating on the same toe where I have pins and a staple, therefore he's going to do a bunionette on the side of my small toe while straightening it at the same time. I'm on a 12 month waiting list in a public hospital for the operation. You wil be best wearing sandles which have velcro straps across the top of your foot which can be tightened when your foot feels more comfortable wearing them.

Wishing you the best of luck! By the way, make sure you have the best surgeon possible, otherwise you will end up with nerve damage and a deformed foot.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the YouTube link to watch the operation as users can search the site to find this rather than linking to a specific video. If users want the specific link use the Private Message service to exchange.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi, 

Did you go ahead with this operation and if so how are you feeling about it now.  I have a sim ilar operation scheduled for August and am having second thoughts as hearing so many negative comments. Would love to hear something positive.  I am 68, have a very active life, play tennis, dance, swim and LOVE to wear high heels which I can just about do now for about half an hour. 

Regards Jan 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.