Wearing heels after fusion bunion operation?

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi

Call me vain, but I am very concerned that I apparently won't be able to wear heels EVER if I have a fusion bunion operation.  I'm not talking huge here, but the surgeon said anything over half an inch would not be possible.  Is this really the case?  At present I usually wear shoes with heels of 1 - 1 1/2 inches, so not huge by any means.   I know this is trivial compared to some of the other discussions but, as I have little pain with my bunions and the op would only be to make is possible to wear 'ordinary' shoes rather than being confined to the limited availability and styles of extra extra wide, I am concerned.  I don't want to be still struggling to find footwear!

Thanks for any thoughts. 

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Sally, I am scheduled for surgery next friday and just wanted to see how you are doing now that its been a while for you
    • Posted

Hi Shelly

Did you have the surgery?  I had a big toe fusion on 2nd August 2016 so we may be a similar points.  would be interested to hear how you are doing?  Firstly want to say, I read these forums and think how lucky I am, my foot has healed very well and I have no pain.  I am still in a surgical shoe until my hospital check up in 2 weeks time.  I have taken a few steps without it round the house and it feels a little odd but fine.  My only slight concern is my foot does get quite hot and red sometime (with swelling), mainly in the evening or after a shower, but it does seem to recover quickly so all the healing process I guess.

I am not too worried about wearing heals as haven't been able to for some time but have tried on ankle boots and long boots (with zips and 1 inch heels) and they seem fine.  I might try some slightly higher heels in a few weeks but have been investigating different flats and there are some lovely choices out there.

Really looking forward to getting a bit more active, walking and to the gym, hopefully not long now.

So hope you are also doing ok.

• Posted

I'm facing a toe fusion after the first of the year and have the same concerns about wearing heels that you expressed.  What did you find out and are you able to wear 1-1/2 inch heels?  Would appreciate hearing from you as I'm very concerned about this and yes, I too am vain.

• Posted

Hello

i had a fusion on the 31st August. Had plate and screws and it's all down no what it's supposed to do. Back in shoes a week ago but not really heels. My foot us improving but I would say still uncomfortable. I have tried 

most of my shoes and can get into them all but my very high heels. Small sacrifice really. I am not sure how long I will be able to walk in some if them. My old crocs are the most comfortable. I think patience is the name of the game. Good luck 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your email.  You seem much more positive than the other responses.  While I expect pain and know the recovery will be relatively long, I'm just concerned about NEVER being able to wear heels again and I'm only talking about 1-1/2 inches or so.  My doctor says I will be in a cast for 6 weeks.  Were you in a cast?  That almost seems to be the worst part of this.  Right now I'm trying to decide if I should do this or postpone the surgery until it's unbearable.

• Posted

Do it! I should have had it at least a year ago. I didn't have a cast I wore a large Dacro type boot until 6 weeks when I was allowed to weight bear. I showed the consultant my shoes which have a 1 and a half inch wedge and he said fine, main thing is they have a rigid sole. Mine were reikers. 

I had very little pain but as you start to walk again there is some discomfort but I think it will be worth it eventually. It can rake up to a year, so it really depends on your lifestyle.mtherebis a really good Facebook forum site called I survived a bunionectomy. Lots of different experiences and lots of great help and advice and support.if I had relied on the comments here I think I would have not had the op. Hope this is helpful

• Posted

Thanks for your note.  Did an orthopedist do your surgery or a podiatrist?  I'm seeing an orthopedist.  The podiatrist said I didn't need a fusion but the orthopedist says I do, because of arthritis.  If the arthritis isn't too bad, he won't,do a fusion but, of course, he won't know this until he cuts into my foot.

• Posted

Mine told me that it would only get worse and if I didn't have the fusion I would be back again after a year or do. He was an orthopaedic surgeon

• Posted

Hi Jan

I had a big toe fusion on 2nd August this year so was pleased to see your positive post and you are a few weeks after me with recovery.  I too have tried all my old shoes on, accepted no high heels (which I haven't been comfortable in for some time anyway) and had a good clear out.  I was in a surgical shoe for 1 weeks so just last week released into normal shoes.  My surgeon said as stiff as possible sole so off I went boot hunting for winter. I did get some stiff boots but do wonder if they are too stiff as struggling a bit walking.   You mention discomfort when walking and I would like to ask if its the same as my experience.  I find when i try to walk normally I feel my fused toe is hitting the ground too early and so I am cutting my stride short which over a little time becomes a limp.  Are you the same?  Do you (or anyone else) think this will become more natural in time and perhaps we wont notice it?

When I am in trainers it is a little better and I don't get any pain which is great, just wonder if I need to give it more time?

• Posted

Yes Paula I get the same. Really strange sensations and sometimes pan  but I think it's all part if the healing process. I haven't gone into boots yet but I think mine will be ok, apart from the incident scar which they might rub. I have been coveting it with a bunion shield for now until it is a bit tougher. Slowly slowly I think. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thank you Jan, its great to know its not just me and perhaps I am expecting too much too soon.  May I just ask if you are in the Uk and your age, i am in Uk and 49.
    • Posted

I'm in the uk too in Dorset and I'm 68.  Where are youThere is a very good site, I survived a bunionectomy. Great support and lots of information. Try it and good luck.

• Posted

thank you Jan I will check out the site.  I am in Hampshire so not far away
    • Posted

I hint you will find I it interesting, it h led me a lot in the early days. Awful day here today ugh, feet up and good book,I think. 
    • Posted

Hi, Jan:

I am considering a fusion. How are you doing these days with yours? Are you still happy with it?

Thank you,

Monica

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.