Wearing heels at 2 months TKR???

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI

ITS 2 months today since I Had TKR, and I am doing very well. The nights are rubbish and get the weirdest pains coming and going but  feel so much better especially mood wise!

my daughter gets married on Saturday so I have been trying walking in heels, does anyone have any ideas on how I can achieve this. I wondered about buying cushioned insoles??? Any other ideas would be very welcome.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago.

I have never been comfortable in heels so I am not much help I'm afraid.

My guess though is that at 2 months it is probably too early to be trying heels.

Hope the wedding goes OK. have a good day.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, perhaps I could wear them for the church and photos, but I may need to get a back up pair of flatties, ugh!
  • Posted

Try wedges, for some reason your feet are positioned differently. More stability and less likely for your knees to feel as if they are going sideways.  If you are just going to wear heels for photos try tightening your quads as it is them that will cause issues, if nothing else.  It's not so much insoles as soft heels.  Get your shoe repairer to put soft rubber on the heels as you wont feel the impact so much (hope that makes sense). Does make a huge difference, even on flatties
    • Posted

Why didn't I think of wedges, what a great idea thanks. The soft heels are also worth trying. So tomorrow I shall attempt to find some wedges and/ or shoes with soft heel. Thanks x
    • Posted

You are so welcome, but please remember you have to conscientously tense your knees every now and then to keep your knees safe. Practise by walking round of tippy toes , then you will not only be practising and exercising your quads, but will also get a feel of what it will be like.  Have fun shopping, wedges come is so many fun shapes these days x
    • Posted

I think your advice is so sound, I have bought some Clarks wedges which are a compromise for me but much better than flatties for the wedding. They are quite springy so should be better than any other shoes I had.

TKR is so sneaky, just when you think a pain has gone another one comes to take over. I think from reading the forum posts it is likely to be nerve pains, I am just hoping my knee behaves onSaturday. Thanks for giving me the wedges idea x

• Posted

Sweetie, you are so welcome, if you wear them a;ll evening, make sure you rest, also keep titghening those quads, and make sure you sit when possible.  Next day is going to be achey but at least you will have had a great time.  (another thought it your dress covers your knee, wear a brace, if only for dancing xx
    • Posted

A good sports shop would do them (they are normally made of neoprene and can come with metal stays in the side that can come out) or a good chemist like the larger Boots, they do the neoprene type maybe without the the meta.  If you google knee braces (for arthritis) you will be spoilt for choice, Personally, I'd go for the Neo G MEDICAL GRADE ADVANCED HINGED OPEN PATELLA KNEE BRACE/SUPPORT 'breathable design'.

It does give you the mental support as well as knee support, though don't wear for long periods ( I wear mine, when I am brave enough, to go into the sea, wold look weird trying to swim with a stick!!)

• Posted

Thank you, will look into this. Wedding was wonderful and I coped really well.
    • Posted

I am so glad you enjoyed the wedding, did you enjoy it better than you thought you would.  That alone should give you a huge boost of confidence. There is nothing stopping you now xx
    • Posted

Update at nearly 3 months, I can wear wedges most days and think this is because I always wore heels every day pre op. Think I am still expecting too much eg I got rid of ice packs and thought I didn't need exercises. Oops that was a step too much as I now realise how weak the leg is. In the last week it has been more swollen again,!!! I can hear you say it is still early days and thanks for the support you have given x
    • Posted

Hi Lynne, you are most probably ahead of most people at your stage, so don't be so hard on yourself. Something to remember, when you wear heels/wedges, you are using a different set of muscles/ligaments. You will feel the difference when you walk barefoot. You may want to make wearing flats more preferable and treat yourself to heels on special occasions/weekends.  That way your knee will continue heal and your muscles will get stronger x
  • Posted

Are you really walking in heals yet
    • Posted

More wedges than heels but I wore them all the time pre op as I'm just below 5 ft and needed a bit of height! I can now wear most shoes for short periods but the wedges are fine for longer periods. Good luck with your shoes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.