wearing off

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Could someone let me know, on average, if I take 40mg of Propranolol how long does it take for the effects to wear off?

I have been told to take 1. 40mg Propranolol a day and I take it in the morning. By the evening I can feel my symptoms coming back. Should I take more?

Thanks 😊 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

NO do not take anymore than your GP said.

Go back to him/her discuss.

• Posted

I wouldn't do anything without asking your doctor but I take 40 mg a day and it's spread over two doses so I take 20mg in the morning and 20mg at night. Feel like it's kind of wasted at night when I'm asleep (!) but I do wake up calm! Maybe ask your gp if you can split the dose? Also don't fixate too much on whether it is working - I find I do that and I become almost obsessed with whether it's working ... Don't give up and hope this helps x
  • Posted

Any propranolol dose will take between 4 and 6 hours to wear off, in my experience.  Definitely do not take another 40mg without direct advice from your GP.  Would suggest doing as I do and asking for 10mg tablets, then take your 40mg daily dose by spacing 4 doses evenly through the day with the last one just before you go to bed.  Seems to work well, at least it does for me!
  • Posted

The dose should be taken at NIGHT it works better for you in your system without a doubt. I take 40 mg infact everyone ever 50 should be taking it,

• Posted

It can vary from person to person usually 4-6 hours.  You can take propanalol up till 3 times a day but it depends what your doctor has told you to take smile 
  • Posted

Thank you all for your advice. My doctor said I could take more if I'm having a bad day, just dont want it to become a habit!

I will speak to my GP and find out wheather I can have a smaller dose taken throughout the day.

I have prefer to take it in the morning as this is when I'm most panicy. 

Ill speak to my GP and see how it goes.

Thanks again 😊 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.