Wearing pre-cataract surgery glasses vs blank lens over operated eye when driving

Posted , 6 users are following.

Looking for the best way to manage driving with only one eye having had cataract surgery. Option 1, I've tried wearing my pre-cataract surgery glasses. This improves my vision but feels off. I also wonder if this might be harmful to the healing of my just implanted IOL since I feel the muscles in my eye being strained, or at least that's what it feels like. Option 2, using another pair of glasses, I'll be having a blank lens installed instead of the prescription lens on the same side of my glasses as my operated eye. The downside here is that my operated eye is corrected for intermediate vision (-1.5D) not distance. Many thanks.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Ron! With all the information you've kindly provided, I should be able to find a brand that would work for me. That said, I'm planning to drive a few blocks wearing my glasses with the blank lens to give them a try. My main concern is that my vision wearing the glasses will be good enough to drive safely. It sounds like contacts will also not provide the same image as my operated eye, but I think you said that a contact in my right eye would provide better vision than the blank lens because it's closer to the retina?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.