Weather!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Heat wave, old age and PMR don't mix😡😡

The strange thing about it the aches are still there.  I thought warmth would help.  Are others coping alright, or is it only me?

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Cooler today, but yesterday was unbearable with temperatures in the mid 30s. I have enough problems in cooler weather with the dreaded sweats, so yesterday I spent most of the day on the sofa with a fan on me. As for sleeping, in this weather, I tend to nod off on the sofa late afternoon for about an hour, but then my night time sleep is quite interrupted.
  • Posted

PS. I was planning to make roast veg lasagne, but not sure I can face the oven! Maybe a mushroom omelette and new potatoes and salad instead.
  • Posted

Hi Constance, I live in SW Florida in the U.S. where it is at least 90 degrees F ( 32 Celsius) and humid all summer long. The heat is hard to bear while suffering from PMR, but I think it is a little easier here because our bodies adjust to it since it is constant. Having central AC and a pool ( thank goodness I don't have to expose  my prednisone swollen body to others!) help too. I hope your heat wave breaks soon. We have several more months ahead here.
    • Posted

Contrary to a lot of my English friends I have never wanted to live in Florida, believe it or not - because of the weather!!!

Today it was 35 in the shade (goodness knows what it was in the sun)!  The thing is we are just not used to it - therefore the 'moans'.

Greetings from C. 💐

• Posted

The difference in living in certain parts of the US where the weather is hot/humid, is that most homes and shops have A/C. I lived in Alexandria, VA several years ago and used to go from one air conditioned area to another, just hitting the heat getting into the car.

We are still coming to terms with extremes of weather in the UK, just as we are all "surprised" when it snows heavily!

• Posted

Very rarely actually- especially in the south.  Also,contrary to belief, there is rarely fog!!

15-23 in winter sounds good to me.  I need to find somewhere in the world where it's 23/24 all year round.  Wishful thinking - too old to move again (we've moved 17 times since we married, 58 years ago).

Have a good day.  Regards from C.💐

• Posted

"58 years" married, Constance - Wow!  48 years in September for us.......all in the same house!  
    • Posted

I'd love to know what you paid for your house!?!  We paid £3000.  Wonder what it would be worth now, in this Monopoly world of house prices!
    • Posted

£4,250, which at the time we thought was scandalous for a two up two down semi.  I should think we could add a couple of OOs to that now ++, but we have extended on three sides - couldn't manage the fourth side as the neighbours might not have been too happy  sharing their house with us!lol
    • Posted

That was high for a 2 up 2 down, but still,  near London!?!  Trouble is unless you are downsizing you can't realize the money.

I think if we wanted to/had to return to England, we could probably only afford a 1 up 1 down!!!   

Over here in a lovely old walled town, or in the local 'lake' district, a very nice  3 bedroom detached house would cost you only about £250,000.  (Probably get a converted garage in the Cotswolds for that now)!

• Posted

Yes, very near London, near Heathrow, and it probably was some 10 years after you purchased your house for £3000 if that was at the time of your marriage? Silly prices, especially in this part of the UK.  Son is just in the process of buying a house in North London - eye-watering prices there!!!!  
    • Posted

I know a lot of people in the Vale of York who would disagree with that statement about fog!
    • Posted

I'm still in China - very misty out there at present but I assume it is smog rather than fog! In the mid-30s too! 
    • Posted

We were there in July, too!  It's a beast, isn't it?  Weather, I mean!

Didn't have computer access in those days.  In fact I didn't have a computer!!!  Husband and son did though.

Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.