Weather

Posted , 4 users are following.

Thinking about the weather..........My breathing is never good but dropped alarmingly and caused doctors to think I may have developed lung clots. This was between Christmas and the New Year, when I came back from a holiday where the temperature was over 80 to England where it was snowy and -6. It slowly improved but the next time we had snow I was shorter of breath than usual, though the temperature stayed above 0. I know temperature can have an effect on breathing, as can strong winds, but does anyone else struggle with snow? Is it the damp added to the cold?

Jacee :?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jacee, I can't judge so much on snow as it rarely happens here. What I have noticed is that cold gets to me, as does the heat of high summer - particularly when humidity is high. I have read on Canadian and Northern USA sites about folks having pretty severe problems going from warmth of home or car out into the cold air. Apparently they are advised to do it in stages when weather is extremely cold - ie go to a cooler room for a while before going outdoors, or staying in the car for five minutes after engine is off, and then opening door or window slightly for a minute and then out. I know it sounds a bit of a performance but they do have extreme weather. The point they all make is that it is not just the temperature itself, but the big (often sudden) change. I think the lungs appreciate a more gradual acclimatisation. Therefore I would imagine coming home from holiday your lungs had got used to the summer temps and didn't like being shocked back to UK winter!

Also, two other things to consider - firstly your lungs have been subjected also to serious changes in air pressure when flying, secondly the air is pretty mucky, unhealthy and 'germy' on the plane. I know you love your travel, but I have to say that unless something absolutely necessary came along I have decided not to fly again. Admittedly that decision is purely theoretical at the moment as there is no cash in the pot for luxuries, but should I find my financial feet again I will strictly be either a 'chunnel / orient express' type or a cruise kind of girl. Incidentally I gather cruises have a particularly good reputation when it comes to 'in cabin' oxygen , mobile oxygen etc. Quite 'de rigeur' methinks! On a serious note though, my three big travel desires that I had been expecting to fulfill on retirement, were, in order of importance:

1. To see the aurora borealis, possibly with a night at the ice hotel included.

2. Cairo and Luxor. Valley of the kings etc with possible Nile Cruise

3. The temples of ancient India.

Oh well, it will be Venice by train and carry on cruising for me instead. Not too bad, though admittedly I will only have myself to please on these, as a 'solo' traveler.

Vanessa

• Posted

I found that from the begining of October my breathing was worse and very wheezy. I don't normally wheeze. The I noticed that when the house is quite warm I am a lot better, but it is a difficult house to heat and when the inside of the house is cold then my breathing goes to pot.

Having said that, I don't do brilliantly when it is very hot. Usually be found on top of the fan.

I always do that in the car. Stop the engine and stay seated. Then open the door and stay seated for awhile and then slowly get out but stand for a bit before walking. It helps.

• Posted

You know Tessa, I think it's just that we three girls are such delicate, fragile, precious things, that we may even float away like a wisp of silk on the least breeze:angel:
  • Posted

Hi you two - vanessalee I love your emoticon but am not sure I could blow away on anything but a gale force wind - I am definitely NOT a \"wisp\" of anything. Hope you did not have too many problems with your storm.

Tessa, I also struggle with the cold and breathing - not sure how I could have done it in stages though....Egypt to Greece to France to home???? Would have been nice! I know what you mean about aircraft germs BUT (another perk to COPD) as an oxygen user I have my cannula and also I have to sit at the front of the aeroplane, where I am told the air is fresher as it streams front to back (which is why smokers had to sit at the back before air-smoking was banned?). Any way, foul air or sweet, I need the sunshine so much I will put up with it. I am still trying to convince my nurse I need sunshine on prescription.

Jacee

• Posted

Think I would need a gale force wind to blow away.

We have had two brilliantly lovely sunny days here. Oh! just had a thought.

What about oxygen and the sun? Can you sit out in the garden with the oxygen?

• Posted

Hi Tessa, the short answer is yes. The concentrator remains inside and I have happily worn my cannula outdoors in the sunshine at barbecues, etc. The tubing is carrying oxygen but has never become warm, never mind hot. I am not sure I would sit outside with a portable tank, though I have walked around with one during the summer (yes, we did have one!). PS I also cook with mine on (electric hob). I am not sure if this is okay with a gas hob though (naked flames).

Jacee

• Posted

Hi Jacee, I don't have a concentrator. I have 2 large cylinders in my bedroom and an ambulatory tank downstairs. Got to thinking that the sun shining down on the tank may not be such a good idea.

Getting used to the oxygen and the mass of tubing. Sure makes life a lot easier.

Tessa

• Posted

Hello.

In reply to your breathing problems when its cold.

My breathing gets a lot worse when its overcast or raining, if the weather forcast is low pressure i know im in for a rough day, yet strangely when its high pressure and clear skys my breathings a lot easier.

• Posted

Now there's a point - i never thought to check the pressure before. I shall keep that in mind Geoff, I will be interested to see if I am similarly affected. I suspect I (and others) may be. Best wishes to you, Vanessa
  • Posted

Hi geoffg, that is a good point. I had not thought of the pressure before. I shall see if I improve when the warmer weather gets here........if it gets here.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi Geoff, this would explain the deterioration for me when it snows (damper air) and the cold but dry does not seem too bad for me unless I am coming from warm. I am told by my health trainer (posh eh?) that between 5 and 10 degrees we should breathe through a scarf and we should not go out if it is below 5 degrees, but we don't always have he choice do we? I will also watch the humidity in future though.

Jacee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.