Weber B Fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. I sustained a weber b non displaced ankle fracture following a fall. 6 weeks non weight bearing in a cast, 2 weeks in a moon boot..total nightmare for my normally fit & active 48 year old self. Anyway yesterday I came out of moon boot & are to be 100% weight bearing as tolerated. I'm finding that impossible. .not only is the pain in my foot & ankle intense but the actual process of walking is extremly hard. I feel like I'm not walking just propelling myself forward in some very awkward movement!! So basically I'm just using the crutches as trying to walk is a total mission!! I hate it. Would love to hear others experiences :-) Is this normal?? I will be seein PT in 2 days but in the meantime I feel totally lost.

Justine

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Justine.I am in the same boat I had my cast off two weeks ago and was given the same advice as you were given, I use a zimmer frame to get about I don,t hop now but I would not call it walking my foot swells up all the time and is painfull. I went to pt last week he gave me crutches I am trying to get used to them.I think this is normal but I am so fed up. PT say I will be on one crutch by the middle of October maybe walking by Christmas not really what I had expected I think I thought I would just  be walking after the cast. Sorry to sound down but we will get there in the end I am sure, best of luck. janet
    • Posted

Thanks for that Janet..Tho sorry to hear your same problems too. So did you not have crutches while in a cast? Try & perservere..I found crutches so difficult at first but now are fine. I think it's so hard to trust that the bone has healed & push through the pain. It seems a dream to imagine walking normally again, I think loads of positive thinking & determanation will help :-)

• Posted

Hi Justine - me, a nasty pilon fracture with a crack in my tibia for good measure. I was pretty much off my feet with scooter mobility for three months. Into a boot quickly after my (2nd) surgery (plate and 6 screws), but not much weight baring. I followed my PT to the letter and things got better. I know how tough it is, but my ray of sunshine to you is that now 5 months later, I'm getting along fairly normally (and have been for the last 3 weeks). As long as the bones are healing and (in my case) any nerve pain subsides, you will see good improvement. In my case, I was unsure if I would walk again based on the severity of my break (or smash is a better description). Outside of general stiffness (especially going down stairs), I'm back on my feet and have rejoined the world if the bipedal. I'm also ready to try and work out again (was and plan to be again, an active 51 year old knuckle head). So hang in there. It WILL get better and you'll have some good war stories to tell your friends

• Posted

Thanks for that Chris. You have done incredibly well considing your injury sounds more severe than mine..it's really encouraging to hear thankyou :-)

Can only keep going forward

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.