Weber B Stable Ankle Fracture Help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there

Been looking through this forum and wanted to ask for opinions on my injury.  I have a stable Weber B lateral malleolar fracture and have been given crutches and a moon boot. I had to get the consultant to keep pointing me to where it was on the X-ray as you can’t even really see the gap - he said it’s in a good position but was so uncommital on anything that it frustrated me. 

At my 2 weeks appointment I’ve been told to weight bear, which I’ve been doing since day 1 under the advice of the ED I went to following the accident. 

He’s told me to get off the crutches as soon as I feel comfortable - and walk with the boot for 4 more weeks. 

So my first question would be, does this sound positive? He was again so non commital on the whole thing when I asked his opinion on if would need surgery etc, saying it’s always a possibility, but then that it looks ok and in a good position, and come back in 4 weeks (6 weeks from injury) . 

Second question and probably one I know the answer to. I’m supposed to go on holiday exactly at the end of my 4 additional weeks. Which means my follow up appointment has been put back to 6 weeks. He told me to keep the boot on until I’m seen again.

What I would like some sensible sounding on is whether or not I would be able to do things like go for a gentle swim, again I didn’t get an answer, or more importantly if I purchased something like an aircast brace that can be worn with normal shoes and have some sort of normal mobility for short walks on my holiday as I will be well past my 6 weeks while I’m there.

To be honest I feel like I could do that now, I have little to no pain in my leg at all at 2 weeks - the worst pain is when I get cramp from keeping it elevated when sleeping. 

It just felt like he wanted to get rid of me as fast as possible and didn’t want to answer anything with a “yes / no” or “I think this would be best”. 

Appreciate all replies will be opinions and that I don’t have xrays etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jamie!

So ... definitely not a doctor here, but 6+ weeks post Weber b fracture and 4+ weeks post-ORIF surgery!

This all sounds very, very positive to me. I was told by everyone that I could absolutely not weight-bear until four weeks post surgery. I was allowed to sometimes put my casted heel down for balance, but was told that any weight bearing could re-fracture. I’m only in a walking cast as of Aug. 8; fracture was June 30. 

I wouldn’t worry about surgery unless you re-injure. I couldn’t see anything interesting on my x-ray either but my ortho was absolutely adamant that I get it. You’re so lucky those bones stayed in place!

I don’t know how much walking you do day to day, but let your own discomfort guide you — and get in touch with your doctor’s nurse or medical assistant if possible,  because they’re the ones who really know how patients heal. I’d guess that swimming would be fine, because lots of people are encouraged to swim post-ankle injury, but again, you do have to check. 

As for the vacation, I’d be careful because presumably it’s a lot more walking than you do in your day to day life, and you could be exacerbating soft tissue damage? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.