Weber C fracture to left ankle/fibula. 18 weeks post break.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm in the British Army and broke my lower fibula on 18 January 2017, the doctor said it is know as a Weber C fracture. I had surgery and two screws were put in.

Around a month ago I was feeling fine, physio was going well and I even managed a mile run and could easily walk around on my tip toes no problem.

But then I had rehabilitation where I went on the cross trainer for 10 minutes (on my toes to burn the calf) and then did plyometrics under the rehab instructor. That evening my ankle bruised and swelled, my shin ached and my limp redeveloped, ever since then I've had a dull pain in my ankle and every time I stand on my tip toes sharp pains go through my ankle which never occurred before.

It's been four weeks since I did the rehab and the swelling has decreased but the dull pain and the sharp tip toe pains still occur. If I walk for more than 10 minutes the ankle swells and becomes painful. I went to the hospital today and the doctor said it might be an ankle sprain, I got an X-ray and it can be seen that the pins have snapped in the part between the fibula/tibula area.

Has anyone else had these problems? Does anyone have any ideas? Should I get the screws removed?

Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh that is awful. I would call your surgeon right away. Get his opinion. I would not take the emergency room Dr word. Also if the physical therapy caused it I would think they would be liable for any expenses. I will pray for your pain. I'm so sorry

• Posted

Jack

I agree with everything Debbie said. I have a much more serious injury to my ankle in January - it was completely shattered

I had one screw put in with the intention of taking it out once the bones healed.- because it was put in to hold all the rest of the hardware in place. The surgeon thought if I did not take it out it would break inside my ankle.This was done Friday and it was not a big deal- no need for crutches etc, Just a little soreness.

I wish u the best!

• Posted

Hi Marge So all went well with your screw removal? Are you walking again now? I'm getting nervous about my surgery Tuesday the June 6. It's been a long haul and I just worry something will go wrong.

Margie

• Posted

Margie

I was hoping u would see my reply to Jack.

I only had one screw out. It was so different than last experience. It did not set me back as far as walking at all. Do I have tenderness at the sight- yes but minimal. I f u have any questions or a list of them btwn now and your surgery -or after- please ask- anytime!

I agree - whole thing has been a long stressful and painful haul but I honestly don't feel the removal in my case made anything worse. I didn't even need the crutches my surgeon told me to bring.

• Posted

That sounds encouraging. How big was your incision and where was it? Was it a large screw?

Did you get anesthesia? Did you need pain killers after surgery?

My incision will be about 5-6 cm in order to get the plate out. This area just finally healed. He told me to bring the boot cast to surgery so I hope that is just for transport and I don't have to go back wearing that thing😫

Margie

• Posted

Margie

All good questions! Keep asking. Incision was made where I already have scar- but not even 1/2 size of scar-outside of left ankle. The screw was a little longer than my middle finger and a little thinner.

I did get anesthesia. I did take pain killers for 1 1/2 days . I think it hurt more once anesthesia from wore off. But nothing like pain of first surgery which was excruciating for me. Just discomfort.

I hope u don't have to wear the boot- I get it!! But I suspect the recovery will be minimal. U have been through the mill- as have I. I hope it will b a relief how simple this is.🙏🙏🙏

Marge

• Posted

Get them out if they cause pain and are broken. They might be pressing on nerves now . I am set to have my plate and screws out next week. I'll let you know how it goes after.

Margie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.