Wedge pillows for elevation?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! One week post right tkr ( did left last year). Has anyone bought one of those wedge pillows? My pillow stacks are not very impressive and I'm always afraid I'm getting it wrong. Thoughts?

Thx.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I bought one on Amazon and thought it was going to be like the one I used at PT , but it was not!  But, it's serving the purpose I suppose

• Posted

I just use a very soft feather pillow against my bad knee.

Find this very comfy.

No point in buying something that you may not get on with.

Hope it works for you.

Best Wishes

Sue

• Posted

I love the wedge pillow (by InteVision), 22 x 22 1/2 x 7 1/2. PT recommended it!!! The best way to elevate the legs/knees.
  • Posted

I've seen reports of every conceivable type and it gets back to a couple of basics. Nothing that allows the leg to bend over the item and possibly slow down circulation and the most important....whatever helps with pain management. I guess as far as conceivable position , place in the proper configuration it would even slow down or stop conception. That would probably be Chico Marx' observation if he would have gotten on here 1st.

• Posted

The important points:

Never put anything behind you leg so the knee bends over it as it can cause blood clots.

The 2nd, do whatever you can to eliminate pain. Rest is hard to come by so you need to take ever measure possible. Rest is one of the main components in healing and without it you will just require more time in therapy.

The rest of it was just kidding around about using the proper placement placement of a pillow to prevent conception.😀 just another of my crude attempts for humor. You have to overlook Chico and me and our standup comedy routines

• Posted

I never said anything about them not being o.k. Like everything else...they aren't for everyone. What I did say if you read my statement, you never want something that you hook your leg over as you can wind up with blood clots. Whay else do I need to say to clarify my position?

• Posted

Martha an anticoagulant won't help if you place something behind the knee then hook your leg over it. Doing that is basically cutting off the circulation and injections, pills etc won't offset the damage it can cause. Not sure where you are but in all of my rehab S and surgeries this is one of the basic lessons therapists teach. I would suggest you talk to your surgeon and discuss it. Pillows should be used to elevate at sn angle from the hip to the foot or between the legs to keep the knees apart but never under the back of the knee as something to hook the leg over and bend.

Chico Marx has a statement regarding this in some of his tutorials. However, as with everything you read on this site, its up to you to either heed or decline the advice. BTW, I've had 11 surgeries, 30 rounds of radiation and 5 complete rehab S on one leg so I'm never offended if anyone or everyone decides they have more info and experience than I do.

• Posted

I agree Martha08360.....Oldfatguy1, you were not very clear.
    • Posted

I don't think neizie had a problem. You appear to be confused and I don't recall addressing a concern of yours. I feel like I'm running with one foot nailed to the floor, which means I'm going in circles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.