Week 11 of 20mg citalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi all

not posted for a while but looking for a bit of positivity if anyone can.

I’ve been on/ off Citalopram over the last 18 years or so and this is my 4th time on it!! 15 weeks ago my GP thought I should try Effexor and after 4 weeks we decided it wasn’t for me. I was put back on to 20 mg Citalopram. Note : this was all done the correct way by cross tapering doseages.

I'm now on week 11 of Citalopram 20mg and not just getting it yet!! I had a few weeks of goodness but recently dipped, particularly in the morning. I’m reluctant to increase or change dose yet but wonder if anyone can shed light on this.

I never self medicate and every decision I make is done via GP so feel free to comment.

thanks in advance 😊

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, 

I’ve been on them for 8 weeks now and haven’t really felt much benefit. I seem to have some good days but always followed by bad. My irrational head decided today to up it from 20 to 30 which I did this morning. I’m now fearful of the consequences. If I did it just today and continue on 20 from tomorrow will it do much? Or should I try and go with 30? 

I know it takes time. But I, like many believed at this point to feel much more positive effects by now 🤔🤦🏻??? 

Anyone’s thoughts will be much appreciated. 🙏🏻

• Posted

8weeks is still too early ..you should of stay at 20.upping your dose isn't going to make you feel any better on the contrary your going to get more start up side effects again..good luck

• Posted

I only took one today,so if I stick to 20mg and regard it as a 1 off, will I b ok. I instantly regretted it and want to be patient but it’s so hard. 🙈🙈 

• Posted

I think you'll be fine, a one off increase to 30mg won't upset the apple cart much. Just carry on with the 20mg for a while yet. 8 weeks is still early though I know it's already felt like forever. Hang in there, the odds are that things will settle over the next 1 to 4 weeks. That seems a long time but it's worth it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Moaney

Like you I'm having good and bad days but not settling. I've gone up from 7.5 to 10 for 20 days and am feeling worse an hour or so after taking my med. 20 to 30 is a big leap, I'd be terrified of doing that after the effects I am experiencing going up by 2.5 mg. I'm thinking of seeing my doctor tomorrow about reducing with his support. I need support from somewhere, not getting it at home, I get far more here. I hope you make the right decision. You have my sympathy believe me.

Good luck!?

• Posted

Thank you .... I do think it is a massive leap and I’m regretting it badly. I need to give it more time you are right, but wow am I scared!! I keep thinking if I wait I bother 4 weeks and nothing changes then I have to up it anyway and then deal with side effects as well as wait for it to kick in. I genuinely thought before reading a lot of comments on here that 8 weeks I should be better and that I need to consider other options....but I was so wrong. Patience is something I struggle with even without these issues I’m having now. 🤦🏻??? How long would you say it tooo for any of you to feel it’s full effect?! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.