Week 11 post TAH and still not 100%

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am now at week 11.I had a TAH after complications with keyhole. My womb was so large it had to be taken out in 2 pieces. I've had everything taken away including both ovaries, tubes, womb and cervix. Although I'm feeling much better I'm concerned that my stomach feels extremely tight and sore all the time. My insides are also still painful and my stomach is still numb. I'm walking every day and keeping active without doing any strenuous lifting. I feel permanently bruised and some areas of my stomach are tender to touch. Is this normal. I was told I would be completely better after 6 weeks and resume normal activity!!! Stressing as I start a new job in a weeks time which involves a lot of driving long distances. Just driving a short distance is causing me pain.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

hi michelle , you have had a major operation who ever told you that you would be back to normal after 6 weeks was crazy.... it takes time to heal and everyone is different, just keep doing what your doing but dont over do it and keep an eye on things.

• Edited

Awww bless ya thank you Claire. I think we are all hard on ourselves to get straight back to it. Its getting easier as the weeks go by but ive just got to accept I have got a way to go yet xx

• Edited

I agree with the other reply. I had vaginal hysterectomy and I was really careful up to 3 mths and I had no pain after day 4.lmy mum had abdominal hysterectomy and she was off fir 3 mths .

I definitely think yiu need a few more weeks off considering yiu are still struggling.

have you been back to your consultant hun? I would suggest making an appointment if yiu are still in pain.

it does up to 12 mths to recover 100% from this surgery do try and not be so hard on yourself and rest a bit longer.

i found a warm wheat bag over my tummy helped with the discomfort also.

there was a nurse on here a few years ago who said if yiu cant do an emergency stop without pain then not to drive.

take hun yiu will feel better very soon.

• Edited

Hi

Thank you for replying. I have been back to see one of the consultants that did my operation and she was damn right rude. I'm assuming shes not been through what we have but you would like to think there would be a bit of empathy. My GP was more helpful.I've got myself a wheat bag and it does help.I'm trying to build up my driving but it does still hurt so I'm going to try a tummy support to see if that helps. Thankfully my new employer is very accommodating so I'm hoping they will be supportive if I'm having problems. Take Care

• Edited

Hi Michelle. I was so relieved to read your email because it reassured me that how I'm feeling 8 weeks after my total abdominal hysterectomy is normal! I am still in pain internally in my stomach around my incision. Since the op I've had awful back pain that radiates down my left side making movement difficult. I walk daily through gritted teeth to try to prevent myself from stiffening up. I feel the whole idea that after a major op we should feel fully recovered in 6 weeks is just not realistic for so many of us. My GP says 6 months is more like it. I tried to drive my car this morning but couldn't even lift the handbrake up 😕 I'm sorry I have no words of wisdom for you, only words of solidarity as we do our best to recover. I hope everything goes well for you when you start your new job and that driving isn't too problematic for you. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Julie

It seems a generic statement for everyone that between 6-8 weeks we should be doing cartwheels. One of the consultants I'm under was rude enough to insinuate that I was sat on my backside being pampered stuffing my face and should just get on with it! I was completely shocked as I've been going for my walks through gritted teeth everyday and living on a sandwich here and there as I've not been interested in food. I'm assuming shes not been through what we have.Thank goodness we can share our stories and know we aren't on our own.

I can relate to how you're feeling driving it bloody hurts. I went on my first drive week 8 and was in agony by the time I got home and it was only a short 10 mile round trip.

So nice to know I'm not being a baby and others are struggling.Just listen to your body and only do what you can. I'm sure in a few months time we will be skipping around like spring chickens.

Take Care

• Edited

Thanks for your reply Michelle. It's so helpful to have people like yourself to chat with. I have felt like a right whimp because I've not bounced back like the literature suggests. I felt unprepared for the aftermath of the op so knowing it's normal to feel how I do is such a relief.

I hope you continue to make a steady recovery. Take care 😊

• Edited

hi Julie - the official literature regarding recovery from all types of gynaecological surgery particularly total hysterectomies and removal of all reproductive organs is totally rubbish!!!! the people who write this need to be those women who have been through the experience!!! Otherwise it means nothing and makes those who have gone through the surgery feel inadequate. i am 13 weeks post op for a TLH and BSO for endo cancer which was successful but starting back to work although fine in the first week has been a struggle since as tiredness has a knock on effect and stomach pains can reappear as driving to work full time has an impact and daily living. also i work with younger women and they really under estimate the enormity of what ive been through and i find my sense of humour has been hugely affected and i no longer find school girl humour appealing - which i have to put up with in my workplace xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle, what my surgeon said to me is that it will take about 6 months to fully heal and start to feel like myself again. If you feel that something is wrong contact your doctor but keep in mind that you had major surgery and your insides will take time to heal

• Posted

hi ,

sorry im new on here , im coming up for 7 weeks post TAH & BSO , someone said to me you will never feel like the old you again, this is the new you,

im still in a lot of pain, heavy stomach, all my joints hurt , even under my feet, my hips hurt, back ache, ive got an infection in my scar , & i still cant poop properly,

hot flushes, insomnia, blood shot eye, omg i could go on & on i just gen feel like s**t ,

i work as a lone cook in a dementia home 12 hour shifts im dreading going back my sick note is for 12 weeks so 5 weeks left to get myself right , this site is amazing im so glad ive found it so i know im not going mad , oh still not had my check up at hospital xxx

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I'm really new to this, my op was only 11 days ago but I'm having loads of problems, first with constipation and now loose stools, I can't sleep, my wound is really swollen on one side, emotionally I'm an absolute mess. No one prepares us for how awful the recovery will be. My surgeon was amazing but even he said that I'd be back to work in 6 weeks. The way I feel at the moment I don't think that's likely. I had a follow up appointment with him Monday just gone and he said to try and walk for 20 minutes each day this week and up that to an hour a day from week 3! Just having a shower is exhausting me at the moment. I hope it gets easier for us all. This is such a life altering surgery, I'd never had any sort of surgery before this and its really knocked my confidence. I wish you and everyone else dealing with this so much love xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.