Week 17

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone. Haven't been on here in a while x I've been on 30mg of citalopram now for 17 weeks and still feel terrible everyday. Barely any improvements at all tbh. Has anyone gone up to 40mg and noticed a difference. Struggling really bad and just want some relief.

worked great for me in the past but not this time so far.

depression still coming and going and anxiety still crazy high.

not sure wether to increase or switch. both options seem horrible tbh

Thank you guys x 😊

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Sorry to hear you're still struggling. I'm on 40mg of Citalopram and also 30mg of Mirtazapine. Hoping to reduce the Mirt to 15mg which is the lowest dose. I increased from 20mg Citalopram a few months ago. I've been on Citalopram off and on for around 18 years. Feeling really well at the moment for the first time since October 2019.

• Posted

thank you for replying x I wasn't sure anyone would.

sorry to ask again as my memory is terrible.

was the 30mg not doing anything for you at all?

so the 40mg seems to be doing the trick so that's great! I'm glad to hear it.

it worked great for me in the past on 20mg but not so well this time. hoping an increase will help but terrified.

• Posted

Morning. I didn't try 30mg as have always gone straight up to 40mg from 20mg. I usually find I have side effects for a few weeks which include feeling lightheaded but generally I'm okay. In the past, I've mainly taken antidepressants for depression rather than anxiety but the last few times I've struggled with anxiety too and had to take diazepam for it. The difference now if that my life isn't so busy (I resigned from primary school teaching) and so there's more headspace to focus on how awful I feel when I do. Keeping busy seems to help me but when I was depressed and anxious I really struggled to do stuff.

• Posted

thank you x

did it take long to notice a difference when you went up to 40mg? I increased today after feeling horrific for the past few days depression and anxiety wise. especially depression wise.

so how did you know when it's time to go to 40mg. when you feel back to square one you increase again? x sorry for all the questions.

you're right keeping busy is important but like you said so hard to do when the depression is hitting isnt it x

• Posted

Hi, I seem to be okay on 20mg for a while and then I end up really depressed again. I have Cyclothymia and have had issues with my mood for many years. It took at least 2 months and the addition of a second antidepressant to get me feeling well. I'm now coming back off the 2nd antidepressant which is Mirtazapine. I have this thing where every time i get ill, I become obsessed with thinking I'm big going to get better this time. Now I'm well again it seems silly but i really do believe it at the time and this obviously makes me feel worse as I really upset myself. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I think over the course of nearly 20 years I've mainly been on antidepressants and I often end up going up to 40mg. I'm now taking a mood stabilizer to stop me becoming hypomanic. Feel free to PM if you want to know more x

• Edited

Im on these for health anxiety, was on 20mg for 12 weeks then as they didnt seem to be working my dr wanted me to increase to 40mg so i did a week on 30mg with no changes or side effects and now been on 40mg since friday with no side effects but still no difference to my anxiety

• Posted

thanks Graham

did the doc say why they didn't want you on 30mg and straight up to 40mg?

hopefully they will kick in for you soon as like me I think you have suffered enough.

hopefully the 40mg will start soon as its double the 20mg so should see a good difference when they start to work. good that you didn't have any extra side effects too.

12 weeks with no difference is a good time to wait I think personally with no improvements

• Posted

She wanted to increase as the 20mg hadnt worked so i suggested trying 30mg first for a few weeks but she said she wanted to tackle my anxiety head on and go up to the maximum dose. Been on 40mg for 7 days now and no difference yet apart from maybe slightly increased anxiety but no other side effects thankfully yet apart from what i already had

• Posted

Give it some more time Graham. Hang on in there and you'll be posting to say you're feeling better before you know it. I've never been offered 30mg and didn't even know you could get 10mg tablets until quite recently.

• Posted

Cheers mate how long did it take the 40 to start working for you?

• Posted

According to my planner, I started taking 40mg on 13th February and I started noticing I was feeling a little better from Wednesday 18th March so not really all that long. I keep a diary diary of meds and mood so I know how long it took for me to improve if I have to increase again in the future. Laura

• Edited

hey Jonesy thank you for offering to pm x I'll do that shortly when I come back online x hope that's ok 😊

• Posted

that's good. suppose 40mg is the go to rather than 30mg. I'm on day 2 and both my depression and anxiety have taken a nose dive so terrifying times obviously. the 40mg will kick in soon for you I wreckon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.