Week 3 increased dose x

Posted , 4 users are following.

Morning,

Just a quick one really, been on my increased dose for 3 weeks now, previously on 20mg for many years now on 40mg. Week 2 I was starting to feel like myself again but the last few days I've been getting really anxious moments where I've had to do my breathing exercises and these shakes which I've never had before.

Just wondered when I can expect to feel the benefit of the meds and can expect side effects to subside?

Thanks xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have been on 20mg for just over 3 weeks. I am a complete mess. All over the place with anxiety, shakes don't know what I am doing most of the time. I cant believe I am in such a mess. Thank god I have a few good friends to take care of me. I want this feeling to go away.

D

• Posted

How come the increase after so many years on 20mg?

Every time you have a dose increase you have to give it a good couple of months before it settle into your system.  You can't gauge what it's like in a few weeks.  Each dose increase will give you side effects unless you've increased by a teeny amount each time of 5mg.  You have to give each dose months to settle before you can tell if that dose will work for you.

If starting new on these meds you should treat every month as 1 week.  That's how slow it works.  If a doctor says you should feel well in 3 weeks, then in reality that means 3 months.

Even after you begin to feel well, many people then go through a phase of being up and down for months after that too and many think their meds aren't working.  This is a normal process.  Recovery comes and goes in patches until it remains all the time.  Took me a good 3-4 months to start feeling well then up to 6 months for it all to completely settle.

A broken leg takes months to heal, and even after that there will be some discomfort for a while longer.  This illness works in a similar way.

These meds are tough, and many patients seem to be misguided about what to expect.

Keep going.  You'll get there in the end.

K x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply ☺️

Really helpful and lots of info there that makes sense.

I know it takes time, just feels like forever at the moment. I'm so lucky to have such a supportive family and understanding hubby.

I was a bit up and down for a while then I had this panick attack out the blue and just couldn't Shake off the racing mind and horrible feeling for a couple of days after so Dr increased it. I was loathed to do so but I felt terrible and wanted to feel myself again.

I didn't realise it would take so long to take effect etc if I was just increasing but what u say makes sense.

Also seeing a cbt as well so I'm hoping I'm doing all the right things xxxx

• Posted

When you're in the middle of it all, waiting for recovery, suffering all sorts of side effects plus the illness itself, it does seem never ending.  Recovery is so slow that you hardly notice it happening, but it'll suddenly dawn on you that yes, you do feel ever so slightly better than last month etc, and it'll happen each month.

You might even feel you're going backwards at times, back at the beginning with the symptoms, but don't worry as again it's normal.  Just accept everything you encounter along the way and just keep going - recovery will happen.

Panic is awful and yes the mind does race.  Often when we're ill like this, our minds become tired and strange thoughts stick to a tired mind and just bounce around inside our heads.  Everything feels exaggerated.  Eventually when you're back to normal, the mind calms down, thoughts and feelings calm too and are put back in to perspective.  It's a very uncomfortable feeling which seems never ending, but it's all part of the illness.

I recovered on the usual dose of 20mg.  Sometimes people will rush to increase their meds when they don't notice any change, but this often isn't the answer.  Increasing only adds more side effects and you'll still have to go through the same feelings and time.  You can't rush recovery, you'll just make yourself frustrated and prolong the feelings.  It'll come to you in it's own time, so the best thing you can do is try and stay calm and relaxed, keep on going, lots of patience, and trust in the meds.

Exercise is good - it helps burn any excess anxiety.  CBT yes, well worth trying too.  All this whilst you wait for the meds to work.

K x

• Posted

Hi 

I remember those same feelings myself plus a few more when my dose was upped from 20 to 40.  I used to wake up feeling so anxious & barely able to get out of the bed but felt better at night. It was week 5 when those side effect started to disappear & slowly but surely I started to feel better.  It took about 6 months to feel "normal" again & another couple of months to shake off the tiredness & lethargy.  Stay positive & take one day at a time & try to do 10 minutes of some form of exercise eg walking, star jumps anything to burn off that adrenaline that's feeding your anxiety.

keep posting & good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you again for your replies. Really helps reading that all the feelings are a normal part of the healing process. And also I'm not the only one going through it.

Trying to stay positive and not dwell on things too much. I have two young boys who keep me busy so they are my focus 💙

Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.