Week 4

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

So I've been out with my cousin tonight, difficult one as she is an ex alcoholic proudly on day 279 and counting!

Found it hard telling her about my alcohol reduction but she was so very supportive and a bit in awe of what I am doing, stating that she just couldn't do it and it got into quite a heated debate.

Anyway as Paul says everyone is different and so far this is working for me, 3 small glasses of wine in 5 hours :-)

Currently on the train with a nice coffee.

Apart from feeling proud I am still feeling a bit low and so very very tired. I am guessing this is to be expected and am looking forward to feeling 'normal' again (what the hell is that anyway)

For now I'll go to bed on a positive note 4 weeks without being drunk, hey this could actually work 😃😃😃

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

That is great Rachel... keep going you can do it smile

• Posted

Just thinking, you ask what is normal, think back before you began drinking heavy

What did you enjoy doing that has now become a chore or just doesnt apeal to you right now? Once your mind clears and you have the energy to do things again it comes flooding back and it feels great smile 

• Posted

Hi sue

That's the thing I didn't think, alcohol stopped me worrying, in fact everyone pretty much said I was a fun drunk, but it got too much, not that I really remember tho too much of course

I do remember feeling down and rubbish the next day tho so that's what I am trying to focus on 🙏😃

• Posted

Sorry re read you said before 'alcohol'

Difficult for me to answer, I was brought up in an alcohol fuelled environment and don't remember not drinking 😥

However I love my music and reading and travelling

These thing have always coincided with drink but with my lovely husband

We are trying them without the alcohol taking over 😃

I will succeed especially with all your lovely support 😘😘😘

• Posted

Hi. Well done there. Wish I could have done that. Tried it with help of Alcohol Advisory Service but kept failing when something stressful came along. Also alcohol was controlling my life, always thinking about the next drink! It's all or nothing with me! 

I am now 10 weeks no alcohol and loving life. Go to AA and meditation classes. I've tried everything else and failed. 

• Posted

Wow well done you, I'm doing well so far, hoping it will be long term

But as everyone here seems to agree what works for one may not work for another, I have no desire to go AA that's just me

Keep up the good work 👍👍

• Posted

Hi ex alcoholic sorry I might cause a few waves here, there is no such thing as an ex alcoholic. In my mind it does not matter how long we have been or are trying so hard to get off of the stuff, it's in the mind. It gets easier as you thankfully are finding out, we know you are fighting it, just keep on fighting babe, ignore the bad times that come now and again you will beat it.
    • Posted

Yes sorry she would probably not be happy with that either, I should say recovering alcoholic?

Sorry all new to me. Xx

• Posted

That depends how you WANT to think, Kenny. It clearly works for you to see yourself the way you do, others prefer to put the problem back in their past and consider themselves to be recovered. There is no right or wrong way, it's up to each individual.
    • Posted

I do agree with Paul, every one another path in life, there is no standard way to sobriety.

Some people like to celebrate a sobriety birthday, others don't.

Myself, I don't care, my path is going trough life with Selingro, and for another it's AA, both are good.

I know a lot of people, saying, I'm a recovered alcoholic, well so be it, I'm not biggrin 

• Posted

I wish you peace and happiness, Rachel. I am a former drunk who joined the Alcoholics Anonymous program 15 years ago. I'm pleased to say it has saved my marriage, restored my family and friendships and, without a doubt, saved my life. I was so afraid to give up my booze but I knew I HAD to because I could not enjoy just ONE drink. It got to a point where each time we went out my husband knew I'd get plastered and he'd be carrying me out to the vehicle. Often I'd end up sleeping in the vehicle because he couldn't manage to get me out and and around through the door! In the beginning I missed having my drinks as we lead a very social life. But waking up without that gawd-awful hangover and being able to remember the events of the previous evening soon felt very rewarding. For me, this AA program with its many weekly meetings, has been a life saver.

I wish you success in your efforts! 🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.