Week 4 of Fluoxetine and getting a spike

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I started to take 20mg of Fluoxetine nearly 4 weeks ago due to high anxiety following loss of a job, loneliness and feelings of guilt.

For me, the second week was absolutely terrible, had to call an emergency service mental health line one night.

But then things calmed down and I started to feel good, great even. Better than I'd felt in years. Actually thinking this is who I'm supposed to be, this is the better person that I was before.

I had believed this was all due to the Fluoxetine resetting my anxiety levels to normal levels that others experience.

But then yesterday, out of nowhere, I started to have anxiety build up through the day to the point where last night I could not sleep. It wasn't as bad as what I'd experienced during my second week, but I'm disappointed because I thought I had turned a corner and I had a bright new future now to look forward too.

Have others had similar experiences please?

Thank you.

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hello Calmun (and Nataliya - how's it going since we last posted?) For context, Nataliya is one of the posters who helped me so much when I was going through EXACTLY what you are now mate. An absolute star. I just finished week 17 since starting so just over 4 months. I'm through the worst of the side effects now, just some residual fatigue which kicks in about 2 hours after taking the caps about 8am ish. I'm taking 40mgs/2 x 20 mgs as I was struggling to swallow the 40 mg one! I increased my dosage from 10mg to 20 mg, then to 40 mg about 8 weeks ago which I'm still on, which seemed to kickstart the effect. I went through all of the symptoms you're describing, including the eyesight out of focus in my left eye which still happens when I'm tired! My appetite has returned and I'm eating well, put on over 8 kilos now and not looking like death warmed up! These blips are a real pita, I've had a bout 3 so far and just coming out of the third now, which wasn't as bad as the others, just a bit down in the dumps and sluggish. I can actually feel myself lifting now especially when I'm around other people as I'm back at work now. Ask your GP about the NHS Talk Plus service (1 to 1 face to face or online counselling) and Social Prescribing, if you're in the UK. They both helped me and I'm in week 3 of 7 one hour counselling sessions which is helping me understand what pushed me into this depression & anxiety. You're still very early in the journey to getting better but it's often the case that those who respond in any way so early usually benefit very much from the Fluo meds. Don't think that they are stopping working if you suddenly feel anxious or anything again after feeling better, it's just normal - I know how disappointing and worrying it feels when you're on you own going through this hell. The meds ARE working in the background, just that fluo takes a lot longer than the other SSRIs to kick in for some reason. It also lasts longer so when you're up and running if you don't take any for 2 days or so you probably won't notice any difference. Just imagine all that lovely serotonin being produced in your body which is building up every day, which will make you better soon. It felt like forever to me the past months but it's gone now and so worth it! I am a much calmer and focussed person. happier and content, and much more confident socially and personally. I'm actually enjoying meeting others and joking and laughing again after so many years, what an amazing drug this is, a life saver for me. To put it in perspective, I ended up in hospital by ambulance 5 times during my journey with symptoms from heart attack to ruptured appendix - none of which actually happened, it was just the bloody side effects, but scared the life out of me!! Just try to keep eating as much as possible and rest too, you're getting there. The loneliness and guilt WILL go in time - you're reaching out now and made the first big steps to helping yourself by just getting treatment. Don't keep beating yourself up over stuff that's in the past, haven't the actions of others or circumstances not hurt you enough? You come across as a decent and considerate, caring person, just keep going and believe in yourself - the only easy day was yesterday. All the Best, it'll be ok very soon.

• Posted

Wow! Thank you so much for your warm and informative message.

It is very heart-warming to hear such things and that you went through something similar to me, though sorry to hear your more extreme side-effects when first starting to take the meds, but so glad you're on the other side now.

At the beginning I could tell they were doing something, for worse initially, but then much much better. I guess that was them bedding in. I'm now in the stage where I don't feel their effects, but I guess I just have to play the long game now and "imagine all that lovely serotonin being produced in your body which is building up every day"! On the whole, I am generally okay and the lulls are less deep.

I am eating normally now, but sleeping pattern is rather sporadic. I have tinnitus too which is flaring up quite a bit at the moment. I'm going to put that down to the same reason as my blurry vision (right eye for me!).

I am not working, but I am keeping myself busy with a home project which is helping.

Thanks for the information with regards the therapeutic help. I am currently seeing a private therapist. There are times when I think that maybe I'll contact him and let him know we can reschedule our appointment for next week because I feel fine, then the next day I'm thinking of contacting him to ask if he's got an earlier appointment!

I will continue with the 20mg for now, but it's good that I have been given the 40mg option (in two tablet form) if I need it, but I'm hoping to save that for at least a couple of more months to allow the 20mg to take full effect.

Thank you again for your kind message. You (and Nataliya) and the entire group have very supportive and encouraging messages, which is what people in our situation really need.

• Posted

OMG Phil !!! I am so happy for you , you made it mate !! I am so proud to see how strong and calm you are now, living your life and supporting others.

Those blips will go away, slowly slowly. Life is amazing again right ? )

Please stay in touch and enjoy your new you )

• Edited

Yeah I think I'm finally almost there, thanks to you and your support, it takes a lot of time thinking and writing your posts, but omg what a ride that was though!! My heart goes out to anyone reading these posts on the forum and who's going through the honeymoon period on fluoxetine or any of the SSRI meds. There's no easy way but smash through it, once the side effects start to get less, there's so much to look forward to, a new life. You should be very proud Nataliya, because you have helped so many of us to get through it, and I honestly don't know if I would have been able to do it without your support, and also Joanna and of course Katecogs (hope all's well haven't heard from you for a while?). I've been away for a few weeks but back now. Life is really good again, I'm even planning a few breaks and maybe a road trip in the summer, who'd have thought that just a few months ago eh!? I'm thinking of things which i might suggest in a separate post to all of you once I've caught up with things. Calmun, I also had a kind of high pitched whining in my ears from time to time if that's what you mean by tinnitus?, but it's gone now as well! Sleep is getting better and deeper and longer at last, but still getting some night sweats and THE most bizarre and realistic dreams, it's actually quite entertaining, not such bad ones now, like the nightmares were before. Just a word of caution, be VERY CAREFUL with alcohol, I stupidly had a few too many over one Christmas evening and felt like I was dying for two days after, not again! All best Wishes to you all and will keep an eye out for your posts x

• Edited

Yes, I have a high pitched sound there constantly, which I have (sort of) been able to live with, but it's gotten louder over the past few days. It is reassuring to hear you had it but went back to normal levels for you.

Also today, woke up with tingling and dumbness with a little bit of anxiety just to add to the mix!

I'm just taking it as a sign that something is happening :-|

• Posted

The heightened tinnitus is now getting unbearable. I don't know what to do. How long did it take before yours dissipated?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.