WEEK 5

Posted , 6 users are following.

So i have finally reached week 5, when i started this tapering i did not expect to get this far.

This morning i was thinking to myself 'i should just be able to do without now, not take any more, im fine i will have no side effects' WRONG. I left my usual 1st tab & i got to 2 hrs and i started to fell all hot and clammy and had a nervous stomach that was my body telling me that however small a does i take it still needs it. It has made me reliase that this addiction is so hard to beat. I had to take the pill i can not go through a whole day feeling like that, i am in awe of those of you that have managed to beat this addiction through cold turkey.

It has also made me wonder if i will ever be codeine free? Howd do i get my body use to having no codeine? Do i have to just suffer for a few days when i get to that stage?

For those that have used the tapering off to be codeine free, how do i get to the stage of not needing it no more? 

On a positive note i am saving myself money and it is starting to notice, i have money in my purse throughout the week now, i have visited the pharmacy once this week for my whole weeks worth of tabs. I have not had my days taken up by 'where am i going to go and get my tabs'. It feels great but and it is a small but i do miss it. As sad as it reads i do miss the ocassional buzz. On an even bigger positive i have not had restless legs for the last 3-4 days.smile

I was in a great mood yesterday and i put this down to the amount of codeine i am now taking.. I use to take 18-20 8mg tabs in a day & now am taking this week just 5 8mg tabs. last week i was taking 7 8mg tabs. I have come a long way in my journey as 1 year ago i was taking a whole 32box 8mg tabs a day. I was at one stage on 30mg tabs but i weaned myself of them. I have know for a long time that i need to change and every so often would make a small change but now it seems like this is the last big hurdle i have to do to become codeine free.

I am still as positive about this as when i started but i do feel scared that i may never be totally codeine free but i am determined to give this my best shot and my aim is still to be codeine free by xmas. I will do this, i know it is possible from many of you on here and want you to know that all your replies and posts have really helped me to get this far.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

well done on what you have achieved so far. Can I ask what you are taking? I was on N+ and the side effects were awful when you didn't have them in your system. I found by using Panadiene extra, which has a stronger codiene level that I can go without it with no side effects. I dont know if it is just me or if it is because N+ affects the stomach, giving you the cramps, sweats and nausea. I often have set backs due to pain from my back injury, but I am at the stage where I can take it or leave it,I no longer get anxious if I can't get it.

• Posted

You have done brilliantly Teresa! You should be really proud of yourself, reward yourself with something!

I am sure if you keep going with this determination you will become codiene free soon. And what an achievement when you do!

I don't think I'll ever be in a place where I can take it or leave it, I will always need to leave it now. I'm on day 20 of cold turkey, and actually this past week has gone really quickly and I feel the habit is broken. Pills are no longer what I think about in the morning and all day which is amazing. Never thought I'd be like this.

Keep going. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Withdrawal symptoms do go. I promise you. You might just have to live through them for a few days but with your tapering being so successful then I'm sure they won't last long. I could never have done tapering, so you should be really proud. It takes serious strength.

We all find the way that works for us. Hats off to you.

Katy

Xx

• Posted

Hi Katy, thanks so much for your encouragment. It really means alot. Its so helpful on here as like many of you guys my family have no idea what i am struggling with every day i just have to put on a brave face but i do need to hear the small words of encouragment every now and then just so i know what i am doing is not for nothing.

Well done you, you must be so proud of yourself and you are very brave. It is amazing how your life changes from constantly thinking when am i next due a pill and where to get them from. You should feel so so proud to have reached day 20 and are now feeling the benefits.

Been suffering with slight muscle aches yesterday and today and i have noticed that my mood changes when its not had the usual dose which use to be every 2 hours but is now 3 hours. I am just trying to focus on work and stay busy.

• Posted

Hi Therese, you're doing the right thing by coming off them very slowly, I did this just over 2 years ago and felt great then stupidly got back on them.

I let myself run out yesterday and have had less than 2 and a half hours sleep, body feels weird and have slight restless legs. Waiting for the pharmacy to open (it's early morning here).

You're doing great and it gets easier, Over 2 years ago it took me about 2 to 3 months to get off them, I think I was down to one in the morning and one at night then stopped and everything was fine.

It's a great feeling being off them, both pysically and mentally and of course, financially.

Sue. 

• Posted

Hi Sue, it just goes to show that we must aslways have our wits about us, we must always guard our triggers no matter long we have been codeine free we will never truly be normal as far as not being prone to relapse. I feel for you, to have battled your addiction and for it to return again but you should never look back . There must have been a good reason for you to relapse we have all done it. Im sure you will find the strength to try again when you are ready.

I know i can do this but a small part of me wants it done with now and another part wants to hold on to the tabs. I want-need the routine. I just wished i have never touched the damm things.

I feel better within myself already but i do feel slightly depressed. Is that normal?

• Posted

This is insprirational.

​May I ask you how the RLS started. what were the initial signs and symptoms?

• Posted

Wow! 5 tabs a day is great. Keep going, I'm at 8 a day and I started tapering   9 months ago.  I did have a fall and bang up both of my knees so that was a huge setback.

I got down to 7 last week but went back up to 9 after a 3 day migraine.  There is always an excuse... Anyway I'm back at 8 and gonna take a few extra days before I revisit 7 tabs.  

I find the morning dose the hardest to reduce, so i cut the lunch dose, then dinner dose and finally I drop one off the morning.  I also worry that even when/if I get down to 1 tab morning and night if CT will still be too hard.

cut tabs in half?  Who knows, I'll have to wait and see when I get there. BTW, I've been working towards a codeine free xmas too!!!

All the best, Shakey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.