Week 5

Posted , 3 users are following.

Week 5 of taking Amitriptyline,

I upped my dosage from 30mg to 40mg a few days ago, I don't feel any change.

My anxiety and anxiety nausea is still there, and while I am able to eat a bit more. I still feel discomfort in the nausea. 

I've had a CT scan done, blood tests done and even a Gastroscopy. They all show no abnormalities. Samples were taken from my gastroscopy, and those results will come back in a few weeks time.

I'm really scared though, while my family say they have seen an improvement in my mood, I still feel the same. 

I feel like i'm at breaking point with my anxiety and nausea, I don't know what else to do. I have hypnotherapy and push myself by going to work and trying to occupy myself at home. Nothing seems to be taking effect and I'm so fed up.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robert, in my experience on these, you will need more time for your brain and nervous system to adjust. 5 days is not alot of time at all. Try to not fdl anxious about this and expect too much too soon. Go with it, take good care of yourself, be kind to yourself, be patient, and know things will improve. Definitely worth chatting to your doctor to put your mind at rest.
    • Posted

Hi Paula,

I think you misread my post, I've been taking amitriptyline for Five weeks. Not five days.

• Posted

Apologies, Robert I meant your upping them a few days ago. I am still in withdrawal from tapering down on mine, am two weeks in and still getting symptoms takes time to settle whether upping or reducing them .
    • Posted

Oh I see, apologies about that. I'm trying to be as patient as I can, in the past antidepressants were quite fast acting for me. My family say they have noticed positive changes in my mood. But I can't really see that. 

I visited my GP today and told him about my concerns, He measured my blood pressure and pulse and said I had a high heartrate. He's prescribed me beta blockers and has said to eventually up the dosage to 50mg.

• Posted

Hi Robert, I my immediate thoughts as soon as I read your reply to me was oh my god these doctors are so quick to dish out these meds.

Last Tuesday week I felt so ill through tapering that I walked straight off the street into my doctors and found my blood pressure in hypertensive stage and immediately put me on blood pressure tablets. He wouldnt listen to me when I told him that my blood pressure spikes when I am in withdrawal. I have a blood pressure machine at home. I took one tablet only and monitored my blood pressure for a week and it was normal. I went to see another doctor who I trust, and she told me that in future to only see her. My message here is question these doctors.

If you google high pulse rate and amitryptyline you will see that these can increase heart rate. With the amount of side effects you are getting, am so surprised he hasnt offered an alternative med to you for depression. Amitryptyline from what I have read and been told, is an old med which is rarely used these days for depression anymore since ssri's have been on the market.

I would in your shoes seek a second opinion, and question the doctors over the side effects.

• Posted

Hi Paula,

My GP can be cautious about changing meds. In the past six months I've tried around five different antidepressants: sertraline, fluoxetine, escitalopram, Mirtazapine, Venlafaxine and now Amitryptiline. I've had pretty bad side effects on them. And my doctor seems to think that it's my anxiety causing issues with my medication. Since taking the p ropanolol I do feel called and a bit more comfortable, the nausea comes and goes. It's not as dominating as it was. But I just hope that it's starting to take effect.

• Posted

Hey Robert

I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering. Did your gastro doc suggest an emptying scan for the nausea? maybe that's an option ? or perhaps acupuncture? I have had a couple friends with bad anxiety/anxiety attacks they said it really made a big difference. If I hear or think of anything else I'll let you know. Hopefully the med will help you so you have some relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.