Week 5 feeling fab but Jaw clenching

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I thought Id just post to share my experience on citalopram. The first week wasn't great, anxiety worse, sleep disruption worse.   Week 2 started with morning headaches which cleared by the afternoon with regular pain killers. Week 3, woke up to discover I'd lost a filling!  I then realised that the morning headache pain was indeed from tension/jaw clenching during sleep. This is now the only side effect I appear to be experiencing, however it's manageable.  In week 4 I bought an over the counter tooth guard (one that you soften in boiling water then fit ) and hubby tells me my snoring has completely stopped.  Hes well chuffed!  I'm still clenching, but this week Ive started on a multi vitamin containing 200mg of magnesium and it appears my clenching is subsiding.  I don't know however if it's a citalopram side effect that's just going away by itself, whether it's the tooth guard, or whether the magnesium is helping, so what Ill do is wait until I m happy it's stopped completely, and then stop the tooth guard and see if it returns.  If all still ok, Ill stop the magnesium and again see if the clenching comes back.  It would be nice to know what has actually helped this, as I now do think Ive been a night time jaw clencher for a long time (I just assumed it was tension headaches) but certainly citalopram caused a significant increase in clenching to the point of cracking fillings.  Ill keep you posted, but please don't let this side effect put you off and the change to my panic attacks, anxiety and low level depression is fantastic and I wish Id addressed this years ago. So it's a big three cheers from me for citalopram Chris x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris. I too am taking 40mg of citalopram. And have been for approx 3-4 years. I also duffer from teeth grinding/clenching. My partner has had to sit and hold my jaw while i sleep some times. However, i did my research and the over the counter tooth guards you can buy cause more damage to your teeth and jaw than the clenching itself and in the long run will cost you more to fix than it would to buy a proper shield. This information was on a proper website from a dentist. Are you sure the clenching wasnt just because your anxiety increased when starting no the tablets? I know when i am more anxious thats when my grinding is at its worse... xxx
    • Posted

Hi Niccik, Thanks for your post.  I can understand about over the counter tooth guards, it certainly makes sense, but I think that as this was the first time I realised a/ I was jaw clenching and b/ how damaging the jaw clenching was on my teeth, it was a quick first try at seeing how a guard would help.  They are so expensive from the dentists but can see the sense in having a correctly fitting one made that will also last better.  Im already making holes in the OTC one!  What I think is my dilemma today is, whatever I put in my mouth I'm still going to clench, and whilst tooth damage is a concern, my larger issue is the headaches it causes.  So ideally Id rather not clench at all.  Still early days yet, and yes perhaps the increase in anxiety when I started on cit, has caused a more ferocious night bite smile   It all takes a little time, so I'll crack on for another few weeks and see how things settle, but I'm feeling positive about the steps I'm taking and will wait and see.  Thanks again for your post and hope your doing ok xxx
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean Chris, i am exactly the same. Been clenching worse the last few days... I dont realise im doing it, then i suddenly notice. I clench while awake, and grind while asleep... I too am just seeing how it goes. I  might have a check up to see if my teeth are suffering and if so might invest in a tooth guard. Gonna wait a couple of weeks though see how things go. Hope things improve for you smile xxx
    • Posted

Hi Niccik, and you too.  Ive had another thought this morning as it's still too early to say a defo yes or no, but I think I may alternate the nights I use the guard.  The reason being, the first night I used one, I woke up completlye headache and pain free and thought wow, Ive cured it!  Then after a couple of days I found I was clenching on the guard, hence I started the multivit with magnesium also, but I do wonder if resetting my jaw sleeping position that first night confused my muscles enough to not clench as much? So tonight I'm going to try with no guard at all and just experiment for a few nights either with or without it and see if there is any improvement with rotating a basic jaw sleeping position.  Ill keep you posted as it's a real pain isn't it xxxx
  • Posted

Hi I've been on 20 mg for a couple months now doing well except have the same problem with teeth grinding or clenching which I especially notice at night in bed. Someone told me citalopram dehydrates you & that's the cause? Don't know if that's true but I'm gonna try & drink more water!
  • Posted

Morning!    Just thought Id post a small update re the jaw clenching.  Last week we had a bit of a stressful week and my insomnia was back with a vengeance so was expecting an increase in the jaw clenching, but I'm pleased to say, it continues to subside.   Just a recap, I do think with hindsight, Ive always been a clencher, but wasn't aware of it, but going onto Cit my clenching went to new highs!  Anyway week 7 going on 8, the clenching does continue to decrease.  I'm on 20mg so think the side effect effect (if that makes sense) has almost completely stopped.  I do use a night guard but use it maybe 1 night in every 4, so feel there is something in the night time jaw position that the guard then disrupts, and breaks a cycle and the following 2 nights I'm fine now without a guard.  By night 3, I notice I wake up with a tight sensation so know that Ive been clenching again, but no headaches and no pain.  I know we're all different, and Cit affects all of us differently, but wanted to just share what I feel has worked for me regards what was a very painful and tooth damaging episode!     Carol, yes the water was a great tip thank you, I'm sure it's good for so many other things also, so I'm consciously taking on more water smile. Hope everyone doing ok today, keep going guys we will get there xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.