Week 8 on 20mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

So iv been on 20mg for 8weeks now.

I was previously on citalopram for 4years for anxiety then me and my partner wanted to try for a baby so i gradually came off citalopram. After about 2months i was gettin tired cryin no motivation out of breath easily fast heart rate and losing weight i went to my GP she thought it was anxiety related as id came off citalopram (which makes sense although i cant help think theres something else wrong with my health- ecg fine bloods fine)! GP put me on fluoxetine (as its better than citalopram for during pregnancy) had horrendous side effects off fluoxetine i still dont feel right i also have bad acid reflux which comes and goes but with it brings anxiety as i think im gettin better then i feel crappy again no appetite feeling sick. Iv been off work 8weeks i feel useless at home on my own all day over thinkin and not much motivation. Id like to go back to work to occupy my mind a bit even tho i dont feel 100%. So now we have decided not to try for a baby and i am thi king do i stay on 20mg fluoxetine, up my dose or go back onto citalopram??!! Any advice would be appreciated thank you!!

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Katie - trying for baby is a anxious time . I went on fluxotine 4 years ago and had my little girl 2 1/2 years ago x the last 6 mo this or so started forgetting to take fluoxetine and so I've ended back on them x side effects and anxiety has been awful z I'm 7 1/2 weeks now . It will get better x bêrewith it x I'm iff work too wanting to go back but I'm not 100 % yet x trying going for a walk or yoga xx keep busy with something x

• Posted

Thanks for replying Andrea. Over xmas my partner was off work and my child who is 8 was off school and it was lovely havin them home. Now im alone again i feel guilty for not being on the go all the time even tho i do things around the house like house work and sortin my wardrobe out n cook tea i just feel useless!! Im constantly listenin to my head and the anxiety!! I feel ok for a few days then my appetite will go and anxiety increased. Im going back to my GP in 2weeks but im not sure what to do stay on 20mg increase or go back onto citalopram!!! How are you feeling? X
    • Posted

I went this docs only yesterday x did not want to up the dose . I'm frightened of the side effects x I have also got a 6 year old but got more anxious with the kids playing up x not got an appetite also lost some weight too x yes I have like a day or too of feeling ok then kicks back in x I'm going to give the tabs more time x

• Posted

Im scared to up my dose aswell as iv heard on here bad things about uppin. I do feel better than b4 i started the fluoxetine but not as good as i felt when i was on citalopram. Iv lost about a stone my appetite comes and goes. Im waitin for a burst of energy and to feel like awww yes im back to me again (am i waitin for somethin thats never goin to happen)??
    • Posted

Ok do not be scared of upping your dose.. I am not sure why everyone is so scared of doing that. I mean seriously it is way less scary then the first time when you put the unknown tablet in your mouth. If anything people should have less fear about increasing dose as they already have an idea of what the medication is like.

Why would you want to stay sitting subpar in life when you can up your dose and get even better. Imagine if we all held back in life to make it better again because we had fear that it might hurt us.

Yes you will get some side effects again... will they kill you.. no.. did you survive them the first time.. yes... you are way stronger then you give yourself credit for. If your Doctor has advised you to increase why would you not trust them.

You should be congratulating yourself that you took the leap and put the first unknown tablet in your mouth and now continue to do so... that is the total hard part!!  

• Posted

I totally understand what you mean. I know i need to be patient but i really want to be "back to normal" soon as. Iv given it 8weeks so far im hopin il keep gradually improvin with havin a few crappy days now n again or do i up the dose i dont know what to do, my doctor didnt really tell me to up my dose she asked if i wanted to but i was havin a good few days so didnt think i needed to at the time. How long have you been on fluoxetine?

• Posted

I am seven weeks in but just got to 20 almost four weeks ago.I am having muscle twitches and buzzing in my lower back just this last week!My crying spells are less now but am anxious still and have intrusive thoughts!Not sure what to think about these physical symptoms
    • Posted

You may have tension in your back possibly. We're very similar in on 20mg also . For 7 1/2 weeks . My crying have ceased also . Intrusive thoughts have dropped x let the thoughts just go they are only thoughts .

• Posted

Thank you!I am hoping they go!I just made it to 20 mg almost four weeks ago!Started at 5 mg and went up five very week!I am on 25 mg this last week and doc is holding me there for a bit .
    • Posted

I will be seven weeks total tommorrow!I started Nov 18
  • Posted

I was on celexa five years and loved it!Got weaned off during my pregnancy and all my anxiety came back but over two years.So tried to go back to celexa and reacted badly to it so I am trying Prozac now.
    • Posted

It will get better x it's good talking to mums with kids . Try and bêrewith it x I was on it for 4 years ( flux) then forget to take it so back on x

• Posted

Thank you!I pray it works!I was Soo bad!Lots of guilt ruminating about past mistakes and intrusive thinking and just thought I won't make it!Tried to go back on celexa as it helped me completely recover after severe depression anxiety from a miscarriage ten years ago and I had a bad reaction to it!The buzzing in my lower back had been really annoying and I am hoping it goes.

• Posted

The side effects off fluoxetine have been horrendous i make sure i see my doctor regularly to keep her informed. When you see your doctor next mention your back, most prob a side effect! Anxiety is so complex and scary!! Citalopram worked well for me too but im worried if i try it again it wont work so well so i may aswell stick with the fluoxetine! X
    • Posted

I did mention it to her and she said probably not from med!Feels like a cell phone buzzing in my lower back!I am getting muscle twitches too.I read that this drug can take a while to kick in!I seem to be crying less last week or so but now my anxiety is more.
    • Posted

Yes we're in the same boat Katie x reading a mindfulness book on my kindle which is good too comes with meditation music x just had a back neck massage also felt lovely as I have lots of tension due to this horrible anxiety x

• Posted

It can take 6-8 (12-14.........) weeks but as you started on 5mg n been on 20mg for 4weeks id say u was on week4 (if you know what i mean) everyone reacts differently to medication but apparently fluoxetine is slow actin so can take a while. Anxiety will increase at 1st while the tablets are doin their job. Are you taking fluoxetine for anxiety or for another reason x
    • Posted

Yes for anxiety x depression is now being effected too x thanks for this x
    • Posted

Definitely anxiety.I had depression but from the anxiety.It seems like my intrusive thoughts have increased this last two weeks.They were just kind of there before and now they are in the forefront.I hope this can go away!
    • Posted

The depression has decreased but that's it

• Posted

I will book a massage for next week give me something to look forward to!! When im on my own mt thoughts just manifest i get all tense and my mind works overtime even though i know its the anxiety i find it hard to snap out of it. Im goin to a meeting soon about going back to work soon even though im not 100% i think it may help havin something to occupy my mind. So im a bit more anxious today about that lol x
    • Posted

Well done x Yes where the same Katie x thinking about work too and gets me anxious but I need my routine back - it's so difficult

• Posted

Im on it for anxiety too. Im just waitin to feel how i felt b4 on citalopram. Anxiety does increase at 1st taking these but the anxiety and thoughts should get better within a few more weeks ( it happened to me and mine improved) but if not let the doctor know. X
    • Posted

I have quite a stressful job and iv only been there not even a year yet so but they offer support with anxiety and very understanding which helps. I need routine back. I set myself things to do in the day and do them but never feel satisfied with myself. It is so difficult and becasue people cant visibly see this illness i feel they dont understand.
    • Posted

Same here waiting for it to feel like I did on celexa!I guess since I have been on 20 only four weeks I should give it more time!It just is so bad Bieng thinking feeling this way.Celexa works fast too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.