Week 9 on citalopram. I cannot get out of my bed.

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I’ve been on 20mg for 8 weeks now, just started my first dose of 30mg today and I can’t physically move out of my bed. 

I wake up with crippling anxiety and dread leaving my bedroom I just want to sleep all the time and wake up to feeling NORMAL again sad 

Help! Has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Do you feel better in the evening? If so this is a sign the medication is starting to work the morning anxiety was the last thing to go for me. I went to emerg because I couldn't handle it anymore and they told me to take an ativan in the morning until it became manageable and I only needed it 3-4 days.

• Posted

Hi there! 

By the evening I can bare leaving my room and start to eat but the mornings are just unbearable! 

I just called my GP and he can’t fit me in for 2 weeks 🙄 is Ativan available without a prescription? 

• Posted

You need a prescription, but there are similar things at a natural health food store that you could take. I bet it will be gone within another week or so though.
    • Posted

There is nothing similar in the health food store thats similar to a benzo..
  • Posted

Hi Morgan

So sorry to hear you’re struggling so much. I’ve been on Citalopram for a while now and never had that problem with it. However I did have that reaction 2 weeks into taking Fluoxetine and couldn’t bear it so had to stop. Might be worth having a chat with your GP as to whether Cit is right for you. It might just be a blip and they could give you something to help reduce the anxiety through this rough patch?

I know that for me the anxiety was worse in the morning and reduced throughout the day so that might be what happens for you. 

Good luck with it. It will get better x

• Posted

Thankyou! 

I’m definitely going to see my GP to decide whether the meds work for me! 

It’s just such a long process, I have to be so patient and I’ve never been good at that lol! 

• Posted

from my experience when the dose is upped, symptoms get worse before getting better....once you can get over the hump of med adjustment, things will get better smile hang in there
  • Posted

Thankyou for your replies! 

The anxiety does wear off as the day goes on, but I find it hard to go to work when I wake up and feel that awful, with a knot in my stomach. 

I will defiantly be making an appointment with my GP for this week, the 20mg eased things off a bit but feel like I have gone back about 100 steps🙁 

I’ll see how the rest of my week goes and try to forge myself out of bed in the mornings, it’s just so hard! 

• Posted

You just upped your dose so your back where you started ..alot of people think upping dose will make you feel better ...but that's not the case most of the time .you have to give one dose at least 3months..get your doctor to give you a benzo..

• Posted

There is a drop that gives you gaba and is suppose to effect to give you a similar calming effect to ativan but it doesn't treat anxiety just gives temporary relief.

• Posted

Hi Morgan

8 weeks is early days still and increasing your meds will give you more side effects - one being heightened anxiety (which does wear off after much time).  A bigger dose doesn't mean you'll get better any quicker and it also doesn't take away the symptoms you have.  Many people recover on 20mg (I did too).  Each dose is tailored for each individual and 30mg may not be the dose for you, but you can't decide that until you've given 20mg a good 3 - 4 months.

Early morning anxiety was present throughout my recovery - it was the last symptom to disappear for me.  Everyones different though.  

These meds will help you but you have to understand it may take many months before you even begin to see small changes, and during that time its best to try and accept you'll feel anxious etc for a while yet especially in the morning.  Relaxing towards all the feelings helps the body and the anxiety even though you won't it does.

As the meds begin to work small changes begin to happen one by one.  

The meds will help you though.  It took 6 months to recover on the meds - and the wait was worth it.

You'll get there.

K x

• Posted

Hi Katecogs.... 

What sort of anxiety symptoms did you get with your anxiety? I wonder if the symptoms we have dictates how quickly recover?

• Posted

Hi

I had anxiety, obsessional thoughts, feelings of unreliality, depression, anger, feeling irritable and unable to concentrate.  No I don't think the symptoms dictate how long it takes each person to recover.  One of the biggest aids to my recovery apart from the meds was reading and understanding how anxiety comes about, why it stays and how to help myself too which has also helped me to finally come off meds.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.