Week 9 update

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all again

Following on from my week 6 update I thought I'd post another to give you all hope.  I've been suffering with anxiety/panic/depresison for 20 years on and off.  Been on Seroxat previously a few times which worked good but because of the trouble (in the media etc) they are no longer an option I am or my doctor is willing consider.  Starting out on Citalopram I had the usual side effects: increased anxiety, low mood, panic attacks, headaches, insomnia. After about week 3-4 on the 20mg I really noticed the depression lifting hence the anxiety was less but still a problem but it gave me a break from feeling that horrid constant 24/7 anxiety.  Week 6-7 I really started noticing the anxiety lifting, most days were fine, yes I was still experiencing the aches and pains that anxiety give us, the weird symptoms but my attitude had changed.  The insomnia continued to be an ongoing issue, to the point were I felt like a walking zombie.  On week 8 I started all of a sudden to get my sleep back, looked like crap but at least I was a sleeping.  For a few days it  made me more anxious because my mind had previously been focused on lack of sleep.  

I've just been away at a music festival with friends of ours and their kids (I'm 39) and actually enjoyed it.  Had a few moments of anxiety and not so much sleep because of the snorers etc but I did it!!!!  I still have a way to go but even 4 weeks ago there is no way I would have been able to do this.  I am still getting the weird and wonderful physical pains of anxiety, my main one is pain in my oesphagus (sounds stupid I know). 

So hang in there if you are starting out or half way there it does get better!!! xxx

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Louise. Day 16 on 10mg and feeling pants some encouragement is always good. Mainly depression and slight anxiety hoping I will feel better soon sad I'm definitely gonna keep going xx 
    • Posted

Early days for you.  And remember 10mg is a introduction dose so don't feel disheartned if you need to up it.  My GP is already telling me I may need to up to 30mg.  This is a new experience for me, I've tried Seroxat in the past 20mg was fine but a different drug.  You will get there.
  • Posted

Hi Louise, encouragement is always good. I started with 20mg of Citalopram about 5 weeks ago, the side effects were too strong so now on 10mg. My anxiety is still there but mainly in the mornings. I too suffered with no sleep and now i am getting a bit more sleep so yes its worth perserving. I am due to see the GP next week for a reveiw so will post again soon. 
  • Posted

It gets better, believe me. Jeez you poor bird half your life changed by a chemical imbalance. If only there had been better understanding of your condition and medications like Citalopram 20 years ago. Still, remember nothing in life happens without a reason. Good luck with the next half of your life. Try not to focus on the side effects!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.