Week four still pain and feeling depressed

Posted , 7 users are following.

Find it difficult to sit or lie.  Rash across stomach groin and back. Can't handle clothes touching. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Many people suffer depression with shingles, so you are not alone.  I had pain for at least four weeks, despite having had the shingles shot several years ago.  Rest is essential.  I had a friend who used emu oil when he had shingles a few weeks ago and said it helped him tremendously.  As you will see from those who are on this forum, it can last quite a long time and there can be recurrences.  So far I haven't had another outbreak from the attack that I had nine months ago but I do still have sensitivity in a spot on my hand about the size of a silver dollar which extends down my thumb.  It isn't like the horrible pain I had previously but is definitely a reminder of what I went through.

• Posted

sheila,

Sorry you feel lousy. Most of us who have shingles PHN are in pain 24/7 so I know how you feel. To have the pain after four weeks is normal. I've had pain for eight months. I hope you soon feel better. Depression and anxiety is often part of shingles and the nerve pain that is an after effect because the pain is so relentless and interfers with our lives. 

If you read through this forum especially the section about Depression and PHN, it might help you learn some ways to help yourself. Good luck. 

• Posted

hiya,the shingles pain when some clothing touches is worse if it's a light touch,I found.Pressure from my hand or fist helped -my hand took the clothing off the site and direct pressure seemed to help when the movement from breathing caused agony.The Pregabalin was worth the brain fog.It really did ease the pain.So did L -Lysine and keeping off the nuts and chocolate(that was difficult,I love my choccies).I took to wine gums instead.I was SO tired -and thirsty.My shingles was from my spine to the middle of my chest at the front,including my breast.It is going now.But it's been 3 months.I can tolerate the burning,itchy,little stabs with the machete that is following the rule of first in ,first out.The worst was when I was hospitalised for copd and had the bloody shingles pain to deal with too-and it seemed to be like barbed wire wrapping itself around my entire torso under the bra line and tightening,stopping me from taking a breath.Grrrrrr.That was scary.But on the mend now :-) I'm sorry you feel depressed .There are many things shingles stops you from doing.Hell,leading any sort of normal life for a while is high up on that list.I can't imagine having to look after small children ,or trying to hold down a job,whilst dealing with the pain of this,I just can't.So if YOU are,I take my hat off to you-you're tougher than I am.

X Beth

• Posted

Wow. I'm sorry to hear you went through all that and for three months. I am beginning fifth week and keep hoping this is my last week.... I found applying my heavy hand on the pain helped also. It is the light touch that is excruciating.  I feel so exhausted. I make my bed and then lie on top of it for fifteen minutes then I dust off the coffee table and then sit in the recliner for 1/2 hour. I can drift off for a nap a few times a day. Pain is easing off a bit now but is more disturbing through the night.  Rash is clearing up we'll just leaving red blotches 

• Posted

Thanks to each one of you for responding. It helps me to know what I am going through is exactly what you each went through and not something I'm blowing out of proportion.  I would never have believed that one could suffer so much pain   I am thinking of going back to the doctor to change my pain medication and trying a couple things mentioned in these discussions 

• Posted

I have also found that I'm sleepy ALL the time now, despite getting eight or nine hours sleep at night.  It's been a little over nine months since my shingles attack began but the drowsiness is ever present.  I am 73 years old so some of this may be due to age but I think it may be related to shingles.  I am very blessed that I can sleep and that I'm retired so I can take a nap is I want to, but it's very strange to get so sleepy just an hour or so after I get up each morning.  At least it is not pain!

• Posted

I too am 75 years old but up until this happened I have been a very active healthy women. We were away for two months in April and May and I walked 4-5 km every day. So for me to be so tired is not my usual. I assume it is my body fighting off the virus 
  • Posted

I found this post as I searched in frustration to see if my round of shingles was normal. Week 4... thought I was getting better. But new spots in my neck are either more virus outbreak or a result of all the attempts to sooth the irritating itch and nerves squiggles on my face. Thought about pulling my ear off until we are through with this.Fatigue is not my style and it makes me feel old.

I'm afraid to get to far from home because you never know when you may need to run a bath or wash your head. I have meds that I'm not sure if they are doning a good job until I let up on them. I guess it's just an endurance test. It sure is taking my desire to do anything. So sad and lonesome.

I find some comfort reading your experiences. E ven though I wish for all of you a speedy end to this mess.

• Posted

Sharon again..... I wonder if any of you find that it is worse at bedtime. The meds are suppose to make me sleepy. But I find I can't sleep for the itch and tingle pain. I lay awake for hours.

• Posted

It was always much worse at night for me.  That’s when the sharp pains would really rev up, making it impossible to sleep.  I would often just pass out from exhaustion at daybreak.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.