weekly shots for a year but still feel bad a day or so before next shot.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, ive had very little doc help in this area so id appreciate advise.  Im 32 and had to diagnose myself with the deficiency. Had all the symptoms, even peripheral neuropathy. Blood showed 273, but still had to convince doc to give me the shots (im in the US, fyi).  Im on methyl 1000mcg/ml a week, for over a year now. Almost all symptoms have gone away but directly before my next shot, I feel the mental decline, tiredness, anger (that's a big one).  A day after the shot, I feel like a real, normal person again.  A rollercoaster. From what I gather, I should be on monthly shots by now and I should nt have this decline.  The cause of the deficiency hasnt been discovered, doc.isn't in any hurry. Im allergic to wheat (been off it for 5 years) and was a vegetarian for the first 20 years of life.  Why does this happen and should I do anything about it?  Thank you.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have had PA for 12 years now. I have b12 shots every four weeks. Some months I feel better than others.Alcohol ,antibiotics and even being in the sun too much can deplete it quicker .there is a good site PA forum on here with lots of information and people you can talk to .
  • Posted

HI Johanna, it looks like you have discovered why you are deficient, it is your dietary preference. I takes around 5 years for a vegan to become deficient in B12, and it takes somewhat longer if you are a vegetarian, but that depends upon your diet during this time. Once you are deficient it is very hard to overcome this deficiency and to repair the damage, particularly in the brain. This is because the amount of B12 that goes to the brain is a tiny amount of the amount that you have been injected with. You feel like you are functioning OK for a little while, but you are not repairing the damage. You also need the combination of both methyl and adenosyl B12 to repair your neurones. If you only have one, it won't repair it. there is only one product that I know of that can do this. Current injectables won't. Check your inhouse emails for the information.
  • Posted

Hi I was diagnosed 4 years ago, symptons was lack of energy, really bad headaches, and generally feeling unwell.  I have jabs every 6 weeks as I get symptons in my hands and arms, my right arm gets a terrible ache and my fingers tingle and feel numb. Plus there is the irritability.  I know there is no cure as my GP said I would need them for the rest of my life.  I do look on the internet for my answers as nobody really told me anything either, I've found out myself.

I hope you feel a little better soon.

• Posted

What I have noticed is that most people are getting shots every four to six weeks. Mine are every week and last time my blood was tested, the day before the next shot, it was 1800. Yet obviously my body isn't using it, or why would I get so tired, grouchy and headaches.  Im just glad my doc still allows me to get them weekly or id be a mess
  • Posted

Hi Johanna, when you get your B12 levels tested they reflect what you have been injected with, so if you are receiving cyanocobalamin or hydroxycobalamin, that is what they are measuring. Both of these forms of vitamin B12 are what is known as vitamers, which are not biologically active. Over 50% of people who are truly deficient in B12 cannot convert these two forms of B12 into the active forms, adenosyl and methyl b12. It looks like you fall into the category of people who  need to receive the adenosyl and methyl combination if you are to get better.
    • Posted

I get the methyl shot but am concerned about light, if that's true about it converting to hydroxy.  Ive never heard of adenosyl. But ive emailed a bit with that b12oil people and im looking into it.
  • Posted

Hi Johanna, you need both active forms of vitamin B12, adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalamin. Methyl cobalamin is an essential part of the methylation cycle and the production of SAM (S-adenosylmethionine). SAM is used in over 100 methylation reactions in the body including the production of intact myelin sheath for you nerves, the production of creatine (for making creatine phosphate for energy), and for the production of adrenalin (epinephrine), which is essential for maintaining normal blood pressure and respiration rate. Autistic kids need methyl cobalamin, particularly. Adenosylcobalamin is used by your mitochondria (the little power plants in your cells) to create energy from some amino acids and from fat stores. If you are deficient just in adenosyl cobalamin you get mitochondrial diseases. When you eat meat, roughly 50% of the B12 is adenosyl, with 20% is methylcobalamin. You definitely need both forms. There are many, many references on this, so I am not sure why it is not recognized by the medical community.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.