Weigh loss and Nexium

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since I have reflux I lost weigh. I have been eating as normal or more than before in attempt to gain weight but I keep loosing it. I sleep well. My symptoms of reflux not completely gone but only now and then I suffer heartburn. Does anyone on Nexium and loss weight or just another thing happen to me? I had blood test done and waiting for the result.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Thi, I'm not on medicine, but weight was naturally the first thing to go when eating for the improvement of gastritis, and though the number of my meals have been at seven for some time now, it has still been tricky to put weight on due to high-fat foods being absent from my diet.

I have, however, put 3lb on in two weeks, by being able to tolerate peanut butter in two of my sandwich meals, and two nutrition drinks per day instead of one. Low-fat milkshakes have also helped a bit, by having one of them on some days extra to my usual meals.

If your weight stays stable, even though you are underweight, it will likely be a case of trying to get more high-calorie foods into your diet, but it is a matter of trying and seeing what foods you can have without making the reflux worse. You might also ask your doctor for some advice on diets for these kinds of illnesses.

Peanut butter, incidentally, is not a good thing to have for most people with reflux and related stomach troubles. I am simply risking it presently, and suffered for it when I was having it too much for a while last year. So I might not be able to keep having it. Time will tell. Cottage cheese is another thing I'm trying soon, as other cheeses hit me hard.

• Posted

Hi Paul I note you have Gastritis ... so do I ... I've been on Omaprazole for 3 months 20mg my problem is sore throat .I would like to come off all medication and tried for 3 days reducing to 10mg ..but woke with sore throat .. my stomach is generally ok with slight soreness every now and then . .I'm seeing a Professor gastroenterologist next week in London .. so hope to get some reassurance .Any tips ... info .. we're you on any medication .. and do you still get acid reflux .Thanks A
    • Posted

Well you are doing the best thing seeing a Gastroenterologist - and presumably having an Endoscopy ?

So you'll soon find out if you have h.pylori and/or an hiatus hernia.

Antibiotic therapy for h.pylori is very effective.

Omeprazole - a PPI - is very good in the short term but should not be taken in the long term. (It - or other PPIs form part of the h.pylori eradication therapy).  Better to fall back on simple antacids - Calcium Carbonate tablets from Boots.

• Posted

Hello Alison, I have posted the measures I go by and find helpful many times - including for Thi - on other of my comments, so I'll give you them in a message rather than clutter this page of Thi's current query.

• Posted

I am trying to do as much as I can to keep it stable but it seems doesnt work.

• Posted

Hello Thi, I know. It's a sad fact that the differences between sufferers and the nature of their troubles - sometimes more than one illness at the same time - means that what helps one person won't necessarilly work exactly the same for all of us. though they could help to some degree. The best we can do, as well as have doctors' advice, is to find out what helps and what harms us, and share it with others in the hope it might do some good for them as well.
  • Posted

Is that a blood test for h.pylori ?

Because if it is - you are surely not writing from the UK.

Of the three tests for h. pylori, a blood test is the least best indicator of the bacterium.

A breath test is quicker, cheaper and far more effective.

Nexium, incidentally is the trade name for Esomeprazole - a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI).

• Posted

Hi, I take Nexium twice a day. I have lost a little weight, but I'm not sure it's due to the Nexium so much as changing how I eat due to the discomfort of a hernia.

I do have a thought on the weight loss though - these acid suppressing drugs are known to interfere with the absorbtion of vitamins from food, I think particularly but not limited to B vitamins. Perhaps you should discuss with your doctor the idea of supplementing vitamins to hopefully replace some of what might be missing because it couldn't be "extracted" from food.

• Posted

Thank you for the adivice. I stopped Nexium for two weeks. I gain back my weigh but then one night I bent over and I had my chest pain when I took another tablet. So I go back to nexium now. I also take B complex. When I eat fast, I get pain in the mid of my chest. Thinking of having another endoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.