Weight and Exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anybody help me, I walk a lot and cycle, but I want to get down to 13.6 in weight, the trouble is motivation. I don't want to join gym, as I'm 68, the last time I was at gym I had heart attack, that was 2 years ago, any suggestions please.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,Brian don't be afraid to go to the gym ,I don't know which part of the country you live ,but I live in STAFFORDSHIRE ,and the copd team run light exersice ,,,and you do as much as us comfortable to you ,,,,and health education courses in association with the leasure centre ,where the trainers have also been trained in health issues ,it's called PULMARY REHAB. And you get refered by your GP,I go twice a week and at age 69 with health issues of asthma ,Bronchietis ,emphasyma copd,I manage to do 2&1/2 Klm on the tread mill and 3 Klm on the bike and 1000metres on the rower ,I've been going since 2008 after a spell in ICU over Xmas and new year 8/9. At my leasure centre they have statprted a simarlar class for heart patients and another for immobility ,talk to your GP, or pop up to your local gym and ask if they run courses like that,you won't regret it ,and it's not full of Lycra clad lads and lasses,,,,it's mostly middle aged and pensioners like myself ,,,,,as an after thought ,,,about 3 years ago I was at the gym and probably pushing myself tooooooo hard I started to get pains in chest ,,,the trainer saw that I was in discomfort and immediately and without  hesitation  sent for an ambulance I was admitted and had lots of tests that showed no signs of any heart problem ,,it just me being silly and overdoing it ,,,,,but it was good to know that the trainers don't mess about where outer health is concernered ,so I can highly reccomend giving it a try I don't think You'l regret it ,

I would love to hear how you get on ,regards ,and good health 

• Posted

Do you swim? Great all-over exercise - in my area the over 60's swim on certain days/times for free.

Do you watch what you eat? My Fitness Pal online has helped me lose weight through calorie counting. It does it all for you really - except the not stuffing your face bit!!

• Posted

Hi again, swim ,,,,who me  ??? No chance ,,,,so scared of the water after being into the pool as a child ,,,,,tried to learn proffetionaly ,,,,managed a width ,,,,but didn't really enjoy it as still very scared,,,,won't even consider going on a cruise ,,,,unless it stayed in Dock ,,,haha,,,

weight ??? I did weight watchers low fat calorie diet years ago ,,,,but once I got the jist of it ,,,,I stopped going ,,,as begrudge paying someone to tell me I was over weight ,,,,I already knew ,,,haha,,,,, but yes I do watch what I eat ,,,but I still enjoy my chocolates ,,,,I eat lots of fruit ,and have actimel drink every day ,but when I've been on a course of steroids to help with infection ,,,,,the chocolate has to go for a while,,,,,best wishes 

• Posted

I have just started this past 2 months just to cut down on what i previously ate,try to eat healthy by eating near enougth everything not much sugar mostly sweetners and have lost 14lbs pasta with tomato sauce is mainly what we eat,not alot of fries if at all..good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.