Weight baring, 2 weeks out?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I broke my ankle, tbia, fibula and talus.....a week and a half ago someone I know did the same. She is 2 weeks out went right into air cast. She told me said she can weight bare right away. I am so surprised. Does this sound right?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

No way.  Bones can't heal in two weeks.  Impossible.  She will damage her ankle.

• Posted

I kept asking her are you sure? She says yes and that she's starting pt tomorrow. She had surgery with plates and screws.

• Posted

I can't imagine PT working with her then.  We all know broken bones do not heal in 2 weeks.

• Posted

No!  I have the same break. 

Cast off at five weeks and into boot. 

Two weeks only stretching.

25% PWB and add 25% a week. 

FWB at ten weeks but continue wearing boot an additional two weeks. Then I can drive at twelve weeks. 

I'm hoping to cut one week off tgat 🙃

• Posted

I had the same injury as you and I couldn't bare weight for three months or more.  I wish you well in your recovery. 

• Posted

I broke my tibia and fibula and wasn't fwb until around 11 weeks.

• Posted

Yikes! Doesn't sound right. However, a co-workers says she broke her ankle and she was walking in a boot after two weeks as well. She was giving me side eye because I was out for 6 weeks and returned on a walker for one week. And now I am on crutches (at 10 weeks)...I had to tell her that everyone is different and to please NOT compare. I am not her (wouldn't want to be) and she is DEFINITELY not me LOL!!! Can't rush things. Turns out. I have huge breaks, two breaks, on my inner and outer ankle. She had a teeny tiny hairline fracture that required no surgery....Thus, the difference in heal time. Chin up. Chest out. And do you.

• Posted

You are absolutely right because every time I ask my pt, pa or doctor when I will be able to walk again, they say everyone is different.
  • Posted

Hi Suzie,

Something doesn't add up in her story. If she did break all her ankle bones like you did (there are 3 bones in ankle joint-- tibia, fibula, and talus) and is now promoted just 2 weeks after injury to full weight bearing-- that doesn't make sense at all.

My guess is that there is a logical explanation for it. Perhaps a misunderstanding. Our forum posters are correct-- on average it takes 4-6 weeks for ankle bone fractures to mend enough to put some weight on.

But a lot of variables make relative comparison of ankle fracture heal times dicey-- age, overall health, preexisting conditions that involve inflammation (like arthritis), and most importantly locations and severity of fracture(s) as well as type of surgical interventions. If she really is weight-bearing (in a boot) in two weeks after breaking every ankle bone then she is indeed a walking miracle.

So please don't being overly concerned that your friend is already mobile.

• Posted

I have the same break, no way she should be weight bearing. I am in a cast for six weeks post surgery, then a boot and only 25% weight bearing for the first week in a boot.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

She's one lucky lady, that's all I say. I fell first we're in April. Operation 9days later due due bad swell. Plates and screws inside and outside of ankle with a bad dislocation. I was FWB at around week 13. 5 mths dwn the line and still not able to walk without very bad limp quite a bit of pain and swelling still. Sat at this very moment soaking my foit/ankle in warm Epson salt soak, which eases things for a while. Been the longest gest hardest 5months of my life. But ad we are told, we are all different and heal at different rates. Just follow doctors orders. And go with your body, if pain is bad then stop. Wishing you all a good recovery. Sx

• Posted

Did you mean to say you were FWB at 13.5 weeks instead of months?
    • Posted

FWB at 13 weeks....... I'm 5 1/2 mths dwn the line now and still not right. Can't walk without bad limp pain and swelling. Hate it all 😔 😔. Sx

• Posted

She talked to the Dr this morning I guess he told her toe touch is ok but not full weight baring. Obviosly it was a misunderstanding.
    • Posted

So glad it's been sorted. Hate to think what could of been if full weight had been placed on ankle. Slowly but surely. Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.