Weight bearing

Posted , 4 users are following.

I still have 3 weeks non weight bearing and work have said they will pay me for another 5 weeks at full pay then reduce this to half pay. Which isn't any good for me as I couldn't afford the rent etc.

I was wondering after the 2 weeks in everyone else's experience if it would be possible for me to go back to work on reduced duties. (My job requires standing for about 8 hours a day but my manager said it would be fine to get me a seat and for my leg to be kept elevated.)

My main struggle would be public transport as my work is quite a way from the bus stop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What suegery you had? I had an ORIF ankle and i am in week 5 no weight bearing. I will have my cast removed next week and start partial weight bearing. If you had the same surgery, it would be really hard to work. I am. PT and worked for my whole life with rehab for people like us.The 6 weeks no weight bearing is usually followed by many weeks of partial weight bearing. It takes at least 6 months to be able to stand up for longer time, walk properly and use the public transport. The whole recovery process may be up to 18 months. It's sad and I know exactly how you feel. But you may be lucky and recover fast. I do wish you well and fast recovery.

• Posted

I've had 2 orif ankle surgeries within 2 weeks of each other the first operation didn't create me an ankle joint when a 2nd surgeon looked at it I ended up with an extra plate and 3 extra pins. I had trimalleolar surgery.

All in all I will of had 9 weeks none weight bearing.

Work have been supportive but can't pay me forever if I'm not there doing my intended duty which I get. But I also can't afford to be off so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully I do recover I think I'm still quite young (27) and hopefully my bones can recover quickly.

• Posted

You're really young and I am sure you will heal quickly. I understand that you have to work. Do what you can and get well soon!

• Posted

Hi,

I've broke my ankle but luckily I didn't have surgery. When they took my cast off they gave me an air boot to use, but I could hardly put a lot of weight on it, I couldn't walk far, it took about another 3 weeks before it got strong enough for me to put weight on it without the boot, but still couldn't walk far, they said I just had to govern it by the pain and keep doing the exercises.

Im now 10 weeks in and I'm off the crutches and I can walk ( well limp) but I can't go for long walks.

It is a long recovery period, and it's hard when we have busy lives and bills to pay etc.. But you have to let it heal right or you'll have problems later on.

If they put you on half pay I would go to the social see if they can help.

Or maybe someone could give you a lift to work and back? It wouldn't be so bad if you can sit down at work but its getting there, I think you'd struggle.

Ang x

• Posted

Thank you Ang.

That might be an option of getting someone to give me a lift into work 😊 I didn't think about that and as long as I can walk far enough in to my seat would be fine. As he has taken the stairs element out and told me not to worry about them.

• Posted

I had orif for bimalleolar fracture, and was given the okay to go to full weight bearing straight after cast removal at 6 weeks. (And I'm an unfit fat 44 year old!) After 2 days I was limping around the house without crutches. Short distances outside without crutches in less than a week. Two hours mooching around Ikea carrying crutches in case I needed them after 12 days. (I 'tested' a lot of sofas and mattresses along the way tho, haha). 6 weeks out of cast today, and I can do pretty much everything except hop and run, or wear heels, but that's more about rebuilding muscle power after cast atrophy. You might surprise yourself. Ask for help, accept lifts where you can get them. Elevate and ice as much as you can. I recommend velcro gel bead ankle wraps that you can freeze. Get two. Take one frozen to work for after the journey there, and one waiting at home for you. At 27 you have great odds for a swift recovery. Be positive, push yourself a bit, then RICE, and you'll soon see results. I think you'll be fine smile Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you thats very reassuring to hear.

My best friend is a pilates instructor so has said she will give me a lot of massages to help.

I am pleased to read thi you have no idea lol. 2 weeks today and the cast comes off and i said to work (who to be fair are being awesome) i would go back in 5 weeks. This all being dependent on them allowing a girl who lives near me being able to have the same shifts as me for a while.

Im glad youre getting on well and i dont wear heels so i doubt im going to start now lol 😂😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.