Weight bearing

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all i am in week 6 of recovery from an ankle injury, I have three fractures and had surgery with pins and plates to fix it. After week 3 my consultant introduced a moonboot and i have been doing exercises 6 times a day, I was told this will speed up recovery and provide flexibilty. I don't go back to see the consultant for another 2 weeks and have been given strict instruction to not weight bare until he says I can. So my question to the group is, at week 8 do you think I will be able to intoduce weight baring, I'm reading other experiences of how painful and the swelling that comes with walking, so is that what I have to come? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You will be extremely luck to weight bear that soon. It was 13 weeks for me. It is great you can do excercise in the boot , this will all help. Your muscles won't atrophy as much so you will be stronger to weight bear. Most of the pain of weight bearing comes from weak muscles and tendons and also nerves waking up. Take it slow start with the support of your crutches and then wean to one then a cane. It can be a slow process but the soon you wb the faster recovery.

Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

Many thanks Margie for the advice, i have just been reading about people having problems with swelling when they start wb so just wanting to understand what's coming up for me next. Did you suffer with swelling,

• Posted

Swelling is normal elevate and ice. You wake up the next morning and it has gone down again. I'm 41/2 months and it still swells and turns red/ purple but my doc said swelling is not a concern. Pain is your guide, wb as much as tolerated but don't reach for pills to help you wb. You can put about 20-30 lbs down the first few days and build from there to 50% with 2 crutches.One crutch is considered 75% of body weight. A cane about 90-95%. I toggle between the two, when I get tired or it's painful I reach for the crutch. 100% wb is very slow shuffling walking but I try about 80-100 steps a day this way to strengthen. It does swell up by the evening, compression socks can keep swelling down.

Keep me posted on your progress, I know it hard to be patient 😫But you have support in this forum when needed.

Margie

• Posted

Thanks again Margie,yes it's hsrd being a patient, patient lol. This forum is great, wish I had known about it in my first weeks that was certainly a learning curve. Things are getting easier week by week and getting quite a bit of movement in my ankle now so onwards and upwards. All the best with your recovery Margie smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.