Weight bearing

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just got back from my doctors appt. I am 5 weeks post op from trimalleolar fracture.He said I was healing great and he could barely see the fracture on the x ray. He wants me to be full weight bearing in a boot in three weeks. Then go to a brace to fit inside my shoe. He will prescribe physical therapy once I am fully weight bearing. Anyone else have this timeline? I have started doing some weight bearing and feel little pain. My foot and heel have a tingle type sensation. It is just awkward to walk in the boot.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have my appt for that info the 8th. I am plannning on a PT consult with it. I would think you could use PT to learn how to use your leg properly again right now, not in 3 weeks. Specific exercises would help based on your abilities. Also, if you haven't gotten something like this already, order an "Even Up" shoe from Amazon (or wherever) to balance out the boot and your other foot so you don't get hip and knee compensation injury. (Just a suggestion I've noted considerably in my research.) 3 weeks seems like a long time. It doesn't hurt to ask! Good Luck.

• Posted

I go w what the doc says. I have heard Walk for awhile and then start physical therapy too. Just do what doc says I says
  • Posted

That's awesome! I was looking forward to your update! I had surgery same time as you but don't go back til Aug. 16th and will find out how I'm doing and what he says.

• Posted

So Glad you are doing so good . I just had surgery 7-27-17. Out of the hospital 7-30-17. Just starting. I am just keeping my foot up and taking care of my self the best I can .

• Posted

Hi Susan,

How are you holding up? I'm praying you're doing well!

Best,

Danette

• Posted

I am finding out just how much I can deal with . Everyday I tell myself I am closer to walking. Thank you for checking on me
  • Posted

That seems like a fast recovery for a trimalleolar break from my experience and those I knew going through it after surgery. Great news! It took me 8 weeks in the cast and 4 weeks to walk in a boot and then I had the boot on to walk and for protection for some time after that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.