Weight bearing

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now 8 wks post op. My doctor say I can now do partial weight bearing. Just how much is partial weight bearing?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Basically, as much weight as you can tolerate putting on your ankle at first. I aimed for 20% in the beginning. To know what that felt like, my physical therapist had me stand on a scale and put bear weight on it until I reached 20% of my weight. Also, pain lets you know when you have gone too far.
  • Posted

E,

Your doctor should have been more explicit about what "partial weight bearing" means in your case.

A common partial weight bearing protocol is 50% weight on injured ankle. Think of it like this-- if you are standing evenly on both feet, then each foot (ankle) is bearing 50% of your body weight. When you walk at 50% weight bearing (with crutches or walker) you have to estimate 50% weight based on how it felt when you were standing on both feet. You should stay in the CAM boot all the time you are weight bearing (for time period doctor recommends before going full weight bearing).

Some doctors may vary in this protocol-- I have heard of doctors that push their patients out the door with instructions to do full weight bearing right away (based on how well their bones healed). I think this is the exception.

• Posted

You’re foot will tell you listen to ur body if it hurts elevate it and rest

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.