Weight bearing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. It's been 14 weeks since I broke my ankle. A trimelleor, with dislocation. It's time to full weight bear now. But my ankle is so stiff. When will the stiffness get out of my foot, so I can become mobile again.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

13 weeks for me...I think the stiffness will go eventually. Personally i feel very up and down. I have been FWB for a while now and no longer use crutches (as of maybe a week ago) , splint or brace but do use trekking poles when walking outside. Some days feel happy enough with progress...other days totally frustrated with pain and stiffness. I believe it is v mportant to push on and do exercises
    • Posted

hi, do you do long strides or tiny steps? im curious on how to walk i think (fingers crossed) il be given the ok to go FWB. i cannot imagine ditching the crutches at this point i feel like im going to fall.
  • Posted

Have you been partial weight bearing for a while? Any physical therapy? My experience with a trimalleolar fracture on Sept. 7th of last year was that the stiffness did go begin to go away until I starting exercising, first with simple up and down ankle motion, then drawing the alphabet with my foot, etc. Then I gradually started bearing weight. Even now, my ankle is a little stiff in the morning, but a little bit less stiff everyday. It takes time and exercise.
  • Posted

Movement is key. Physio will help alot. i find my ankle very stiff in the morning and at night coz thats when i dont move. i swim everyday and do walks in the pool and thats when my ankle feels loose. Im almost 12 weeks and i tried to drive today pushing the pedal felt good coz i have been doing calf pumps since day one. moving my foot to hit the brake was difficult. i felt that my ankle doesnt have that mobility since its not used to that kind of movement. so just exercise. walk when you can and you will get better faster. my friends who have the same injury told me that even after two years they never got the same ankle mobility before their injury esp dorsiflexion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.