Weight bearing 6weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm now 6 weeks post surgery total right hip replacement.....and can now put weight though hip.... not sure if i continue with two crutches or drop one ...... or change to walking stick or sticks.....as not getting physio not sure how to proceed... my first consultant appointment is 6 weeks time......advice plz .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why so long for a physio appt? Call the hospital and ask for advice. When my friend had a hip replacement she was off two crutches in a couple of weeks and by 6 weeks had given up crutches all together, but she was doing a huge amount of exercise. 
    • Posted

I'm doing exercises was given a sheet to follow... this was revision surgery.... and had to not weight bare for 6 weeks... we don't get physio... and my appointment is a consultant check ....

• Posted

I only ever used one crutch and kept one downstairs and one up. Did have an extra stair rail put in. Returned my crutches to hospital at six week follow up appointment but by then had been walking unaided for nearly a fortnight. Did take great care with not over bending hip and my partner had to put my socks on for me for a couple of months. No pain whatsoever. Not offered physio and didn't need it. The exercise sheet I was given worked fine.

Don't push it. Do what feels comfortable and don't cross your legs. That is not a joke; I was told that bending the joint inwards was the greatest strain and the cause of most dislocations

Nearly five years on all well. ope it will be the same for you.

• Posted

PS. Did use my grab handle a lot for picking up things I couldn't reach including pulling up my knickers!

• Posted

Betty i am using one crutch since able to put foot down ... was only Sat .... but outside at present two crutches as new hip leg still bit weak... but give it a week intend to go down to either 1 crutch or a walking stick.... last time I seen consultant far more regularly..

So knew next step... letting my leg and confidence guide me...

• Posted

Hi Linda, congratulations on your new hip, I am 3 weeks post op with my second replacement, first was last November, like you there is no physio follow up, only the exercises in the leaflet, you need to be motivated to do them regularly.  I am using 1 stick when out & about, I was advised not to discard stick until you are walking limp free, and always remember your limitations, this is our own journey, everyone has a different recovery rate.  My consultant date is 6 weeks post op, you could always ring consultants secretary for earlier appt if you have concerns. Interestingly my brother in law has had hip replacement in Spain, he has been advised by his consultant just to walk & not bother with the exercises !!, he is making a great recovery.  If you are on Facebook there is a great forum called total hip replacement forum, lots of good advice, & support.  Warm wishes Julie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.