Weight bearing issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

i started full weight bearing and its painful to walk so i have a limp i just wanna know how long till i can walk normal again? and for pain to go away? also my foot still swells like crazy

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am weight bearing now about 9 weeks, I started at 6 weeks after ORIF surgery. While it gets better and better each day, I am not 100%. For example, I walk my dog in my neighborhood and in the second week of weight bearing it took me 29 min per mile, limping alot and a quite a bit of discomfort. Now I am down to 19 min per mile, limping is down to a minimum and very little discomfort. I cannot run or jump on the ankle yet and my range of motion is still not where it used to be, but it is light years better than where I was a few weeks ago. PT is helping and doing the circular and back and forth stretching helps the joints. It's a long process.

• Posted

how long do you think until youre back to walking normal again? and i just hate the limp cause i get scared ill get stuck like this i dont get my PT until the end of this month but i also started weight bearing 6 weeks after surgery.

• Posted

For me, it gets better daily. I was able to run for the first time yesterday. I am a full 9 weeks out. I still have quite a bit of tenderness around the scar/wound site. I am massaging that daily with mederma and the other cream that was prescribed. I am still not 100%, but my limp is less and less pronounced. It does get better, but this is a major weigh bearing joint, so patience and PT is of the essence. You'll get there.

• Posted

im 14 weeks post ORIF ankle surgery and ny limp is just starting to go away. I know it may not feel like it but life will be normal again!!! the first 2 weeks of weight bearing was painful- to the point where some days I just couldnt. Listen to your body. Don't over due it but dont baby your foot either! The best thing you can do is get up and get back into life! It takes time but each week you will feel stronger and stronger!! good luck xoxoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.