Weight bearing it's doing my head in

Posted , 11 users are following.

I broke all 3 bones in my ankle on the 28th may had surgery 9th June had a rod inserted to fuse bones plus 2 screws on inside of ankle and 2 screws outside of left ankle fierce 4 weeks got a moon boot and told a further 8 weeks none weight bearing can't believe how long it's taking to heal wound is fine both sides has anybody else had to wait this long to walk again plz I'm going out of my mind 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

For me it's now been 5 months since I sustained my injury, 2 plates numerous screws, I've had 2 casts 4 weeks at a time, been in a boot since early May, I've also had to date 6 lots of physio, not yet walking but I'm getting good with the boot but still need the crutches but very close to ditching one crutch.

Hang in there, because when you think nothing's happening then suddenly you see a slight improvement which is very encouraging.

Bless ya!

• Posted

I had my surgery may 2nd. Broke fibula. Had a plate and screws and a pin placed. I'm just today starting50% weight bearing. And I'm at 10 weeks. Hang in there is a long recovery.

• Posted

Bit of a different op but I've had an ankle fusion on may 17th and it was only last week that I was told I can be partially weight baring. I have had a cast on for 6wks and now have the boot on for 10wks.

I know it's frustrating I totally get it as I'm on my 7th ankle op in 12yrs but the more you listen to what the ortho Drs are telling you the better your long term outcome will be.

Im not trying to scare you but you don't want to end up with multiple operations because your bones haven't healed. I'm a sister on a trauma unit and I see it every day of my working life. It causes horrid outcomes and disputation to people's lives.

Try and get engrossed in box sets of tv programmes or have list of films to watch...rubbish suggestions I know but it gives me something to do during the day whilst I'm home alone without my children and husband!

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I had a trimalleolar fracture on October 28th of last year. Surgery the next day with a plate, screws and pins. One week after surgery I was put in a cast for 3 weeks and then a boot for about 4 weeks.  No weight bearing during this time.  It was hard to be patient, but important to follow doctors orders.  Then on Dec 21st, I was completely healed and the doctor said I can put weight on it.  I started physical therapy that day and had 6 sessions....and was walking up and down stairs by the last session.   It is a long healing process because it is a bad break.  Once I started walking, there was some pain and lots of swelling.  I would soak in warm to hot to cold water for 30 minutes twice a day to help with that.  But, I am proud to say that by Jan. 9th I was back to walking 4-5 miles and was back to golfing in Feb.   It will get better.  I found workouts on you tube to do with a boot and no weight bearing.  This helped to keep my sanity.  Good luck.  
  • Posted

Hi borolynn. I broke my ankle with bad dislocation 14 weeks ago. Waited 9days before operation because of swelling. In cast for week first cast for 4 then another cast 4weeks then in a boot with lwb for another 4 weeks. Now FWB with crutches. Been a long hard haul. Having physio every week then doing exercises every day, some days find it painful and ankle is so stiff. But think I'm getting a little better every week. Hang on there its not going to be easy, but you will get there. Sx

• Posted

Lynn,

As you will note on this forum, ankle patient bone healing time-until-weight -bearing-permitted is all over the map-- from just a few weeks to months. Each case is unique, although the so-called 'average' bone healing period to PWB or FWB is about 6-8 weeks.

Reasons for these wildly varying bone healing waiting periods are many, but can include physician's opinions and experience, number of fractures and their location/severity, actual outcome of ankle surgery (if performed), patient age, health condition, diet, and habits (smoking inhibits bone mending-- I believe some painkillers can slow down healing response as well). And if you have good emotional coping skills that puts the odds in your favor.

Slow bone healing, and even non-unions (when bones won't fuse together normally) can be frustrating, but are probably in the minority (I'm not a doctor so I don't have exact numbers on outcomes).

Full compliance with your doctor's instructions (assuming you have a good doctor interested in your rapid recovery) is important. A nutritious, non-junk food diet will give you a leg up on faster recovery (remember, bones and tissues are now in a busy state of repair and need nutritional support).

One little secret to faster bone regeneration (bones don't actually repair themselves-- they regenerate inside/around fractures) is to use a PEMF (pulsed electromagnetic field) device to jump start the process. Even non-unions have been shown to respond well to this therapy. It has been well-researched and there is a lot of science evidence behind its efficacy-- well worth looking into if you need it. Odds are that your orthopedic surgeon will never mention it to you.

Good luck.

• Posted

I'm diabetic which I've been advise which will slow recovery time and also he said my age aswell it's just so frustrating i go on holiday in 3 weeks but I'm back at the fracture clinic on the 27th I'm hoping he might let me light weight bear but I doubt it lol

• Posted

Hi Borolynn. My injury was march 24. And yes we do do out of out mind until that acceptance kicks in. I'm walking now but very carefully and fearful of another fall. My biggest fear now is I can't lift my heal on injured foot without the help of good foot. When on both feet can tiptoe with pain but can do it. I can fully weightbear on injured leg but can't lift the heal. So frustrating. Apparently brain and muscle stop communicating. So now pysio and she says to aim for 6/8 weeks. So darn annoying. Thy to be patient with yourself and go steady on feet. Lwb does promote bone growth as it gets blood flowing   I'm 60 and have had successfully healed both break and fracture but still get bruising from walking and insision site. Almost healed thank god. 

• Posted

Thanx jenni how long after surgery did they let you weight bear I'm 48 and surgeon said age and health affects healing I go on holiday in 3 weeks and dreading the flight but I'm still going after the past couple of months I've had I see surgeon again on the 27th hoping he has a change of mind and at least light weight bear lol

• Posted

Hi Jenni

Glad to hear you are mending well.

Your comment about not being able to lift your injured ankle heel is a little concerning, and you are right to pay attention to it.

After my fracture/sprain, one of the first problems when weight-bearing again was I noticed an inability to lift injured foot's heel, and walking tiptoed in conjunction with good foot was very painful. Also painful was bending at knees (impossible without severe ankle pain) and walking down stairs (had to do the old two-step routine, that is, land on a step with good foot and then bring injured ankle to that step).

After considerable research online I determined that post tibial tendon on that foot had been damaged by my injury (later confirmed by a podiatrist). I have now what is called PTTD (post tibial tendon dysfunction). It can be progressive and lead to tendon breakdown and require possible surgical interventions if not arrested. Symptoms of PTTD include inability to lift heel on affected foot.

I am aggressively treating it with exercises and a lot of other treatment interventions. I am happy to say now that I can lift that heel while standing on that foot alone (but not too many times in a row or it hurts a little bit).

If you read more on this forum you will discover that many ankle patients have ongoing issues with pain, swelling, and dysfuntional feet long after bones are healed. That's why I have been pounding the keyboard on this forum recommending patients to not go on autopilot and assume everything will be just fine once start weight-bearing. For some maybe that may be true, but not for all.

If you want to learn more about reasons for continued ankle problems after fractures and sprains, just do an online search on 'why ankles won't heal'.

• Posted

Thank you kpower for your advice and yes I'm working on this and trying to think positive. I'm aware that if I happen to injure other ankle I won't be able to walk unaided. Need to be able to do heal lift for walk motion. I will be looking for any advice on exersize to correct this. I'm to old for this c stuff. And need to get back to work. The finances are as crippled as ankle. 

• Posted

Two different times. If you put weight on it, you will have to be off of it longer. It is a real pain in the ass but it will be worth it in the end. The first time my foot went through the bottom of the car and my foot was laying up on the inside of my leg. It was almost cut off. Then the second time they fused my ankle. Oh, I guess it has been three times. the third time I was given a medal ankle.

I know it's hard you just have to get int in your head you cannot step on it. and it will be over, it's not forever.  I was very lucky my husband was there to help me. I don't know what I would have done without him, Hopefully, you have support and help.

It will be ok, find something you like to do, read watch movies, sew, or crochet. Keep yourself busy. 

Good luck

• Posted

My husband has been brilliant couldn't ask for more it's just so frustrating also being of work and all I get is SSP I need to get myself back on my feet how long were you of work for plz

• Posted

I had a compound fracture on January 21st and I'm still not close to 50% of my normal routine. I also had a broken femur pelvis and hip in which there is a rod and screws there also. I was 12 weeks non-weight bearing.

• Posted

Omg niche sounds like I've been through the mill I'm trying to exercise my ankle when I sit with boot off but aches after a while. The scabs still havnt gone yet and been told not to soak my foot I hope you feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.