Weight bearing now

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 10 weeks post op from a subtarsal ankle fusion and was told I should start weight bearing now and it feels great. It's been a week and I have had no pain or swelling at the end of the day. My 12 week appointment is coming up on the 1st of March and I'm anxious to hear if everything is going smoothly. I am using one crutch now and was wondering if I'm rushing things in my recovery? I feel great and my last visit with my doctor he was amazed at how well everything has healed and said by week 12 I should be able to walk on my own. I am a little scared to walk without an aid tho.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you are doing great.  On January 10th, I fell on ice and suffered a bimalleolar fracture which required surgery and I know have a plate and some screws in my ankle.  What is a fusion?

I am only. Post-op day 24.  The first 20 were spent in a plaster cast and now I have a fiberglass one on.  March 1st when you go to you doctor's appointment, I will have the fiberglass cast replaced with a boot. But, I will still be non-weightbearing for probably 3 more weeks.

I can't tell you how much time I spend googling symptoms which is what lead me to me to this website where I have found others going through the same thing.  How long did you have to keep you leg elevated.  Mine has constantly been elevated for 24 days. To say this is wearing on me is an understatement.   

I don't know if this helps but when I went to the doctor last week a guy came in wearing a boot without the aid of crutches.  He said that he started putting weight on it at 6 weeks and no longer needed crutches at 9.  If you are afraid to walk without aid, I found a good website fashionablecanes.com that sells really cool looking canes you could temporarily use.  I wish you the best of luck when you go back on the doctor 

• Posted

Your dr wouldn’t  let youcweight bear if you shouldn’t. I’m at 6 1/2 weeks and my dr said by 9 weeks or so I should be off the crutches and boot. I’m nervous too about walking “ normally” again. I’m probably going to get some kind of brace at first. I’m so afraid of hurting it again. A setback would kill me.
    • Posted

I have bought a brace to wear inside my shoe for when I don't need the boot anymore and I have a cane if I need to use it when I start my seasonal job. I'm scared I'm rushing my progress and rushing can do more damage 😞 but i feel like im right on track.

• Posted

Let your body be your guide. If it doesn't really hurt, you're probably not doing too much. If it hurts, stop and re-assess. Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.