Weight bearing with broken foot bone of 5th Metatarsal 4 days ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

Broke 5th Metatarsal 4 days ago. Can I go on a trip and take taxi here and there but not walk so much. In other words, minimal walking but some getting around from point A to B?

Wearing boot, is it normal to have some discomfort when weight bearing?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello.....ah, what does your doctor tell you??  I was put in a boot in the ER and thought it was great.  I had no pain after about 3-4 days and even walked without the boot during the night.  Then I went to a follow up with an Orthopedist a week later. Grrr.  I ended up in a non weight bearing cast for the next 4 weeks and was told that I must be NWB for the 5th metatarsal "Jones" fracture to heal!  I rented a knee scooter and it was great but steps were an issue as was getting the heavy scooter clapsed and lifted into a car.  Good luck.  You were told, weren't you, that a Jones fracture is hard to heal because of the lack of a good blood supply to the area?  Age too.  Hope you are young.

• Posted

Actually, I dont have a Jones fracture, its a Zone I tuberosity avulsion fracture. Doc referred me to an orthopedic clinic. Have to call Monday to make an appt. This happened day before Thanksgiving. Supposed to go to NY to have fun with friend. Even if I taxi everywhere, cant foresee how I am going to do this. I am in pain even with the cast boot. I am a young 68 Thanks for writing, feeling quite bummed.
    • Posted

I'm a young 70 and just loved it when my Orthopedist said NWB cast and "You're not 20 anymore".  I don't know about your type of fracture maybe it's easier to heal than a Jones.  Perhaps you will hear good news after your ortho appointment.  Let us know.  After the cast I was in a high boot day and night for another 4 weeks followed by PT.  While you are waiting for ortho I would recommend following the RICE protocol.  The boot will provide the compression.  Forget about the ice. Rest with your foot elevated as much as possible and take OTC pain meds.  I even slept with my foot elevated.  I wanted to recover ASAP or sooner.  I had no past experience with a broken bone and I was NOT happy!  I know just how you feel.  How did your fracture happen?  You will get through this but I'm afraid it takes longer than one would wish. My break was 9 months ago and I am back to doing everything as before my fracture except for 1 day of multi step aerobics.  I have substituted zumba but I'm no good at it so I just keep moving.  No moving for you yet. Really, get a good book and rest with that foot up every minute that you can.  My friends would visit and bring nice conversation and a latte and I would been in a recliner with my foot up on 3 big pillows.  I hope you hear from others with your type of fracture.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.