Weight Changes during Peri

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Ladies!

I wonder have any of you experienced weight changes during peri. I know typically, we tend to gain weight during this time but I guess I am just one of those few rare cases that I have lost weight since I have been experiencing all of these symptoms. I was around 160 and I stayed this size for a while and then in March 2014 I noticed I had looked smaller. I went down to like 150 or so. I was there for a brief time and now I am 140 something. I think that it is stress and hormones because sometimes I lose my appetite during that time of the month. I want to put on more weight because when I get to this size I don't like the way I look. I don't look ill it's just that I miss my curves. cry They have tested my thyroid and it comes back normal.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sharcerv,

Yes I have lost weight, about 20 kilos in 6 months dropped off, mainly due to the fact that my digestive system amd tummy went haywire October last year (though I had signs previosuly) and I became intolerant to most food but mainly dairy, gluten/wheat, tomotoes, onions and most fruit.  Extensive blood tests showed nothing but high FSH and cholesterol.  I dont like the way I look either and I cant get the weight back on, not that I want too put too much on, lol.  I also think its stress and hormones and like you I loose my appetite at least once a month even though I am not having normal periods now, miss months and then may have a little spotting.

I found that testing the FSH level is pretty useless and wont tell you were you are, mine was 111 in March and I hadnt had a period in 6 months then, the practice nurse said "yep you are halfway through menopause" I was so happy despite still feeling horrendous but I thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel.  I saw the doctor a week later, her parting words were "Well you could always drop another egg" and sure enough 2 months later the unthinkable happened I started spotting, brown then a little red blood.  I was devestated, then it happened again a few weeks ago.  

I have no idea how to put some weight back on, trying to find a food supplement that is not dairy based is impossible and I cant eat any food that will put the weight on, so I am just trying my hardest to learn to not stress about it and slowly try to reintoduce some foods to see how I go.  Thanks to Jo Edwards who has posted on here a bit, I am now at least eating porridge a few times a week, so hopefully things will get better soonish... smile  Hope you can find something to help you...xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing. I feel somewhat better knowing that this is fairly common. I have started doing research on weight gaining products. If I find one that I think is legitimate and does not have any side effects, I will post it here.
    • Posted

Hi Sharcerv..

i find it doesnt matter how many calories i increase ( or did in the past) weight still doesnt come back on... it just tends to want to do what it wants to do... 

if your okay and feel okay... try not to worry as it just makes it all worse..

let the peri take its course... try and relax a little.. 😐

enjoy your afternoon... Jay xx

• Posted

You are welcome Sharcerv.  I hope you find something and would appreciate you posting if you do...

take care smile xx

• Posted

My only contribution is I gained weight not lost it :-( it's like being pregnant I have cravings for everything sweet too :-( x
    • Posted

Hi Tracky

i too crave sweet things especially chocolate 😝 have a bit daily ... i there is a time when I have no choc in fridge I feel like I am going to throw a wobbly 😃

Jay xx

• Posted

Totally Jay I've even had to go to a shop and buy chocolate to stop my cravings.....stupid isn't it! I have chocolate daily too! and a few biscuits.....I think what's hit me is I could be fine weigh a great weight before peri menopause but now it's just weight on :-( x
    • Posted

Hi Tracky

wow we could have a good cuppa with all our goodies 😃

Try Vit B6 for peri if you dont already... i lost weight again after taking that from April... helps you no end with energy and anxiety and assists peri weight too.. i lost loads early peri, gained back to normal for me and then lost it again after i started B6 i take 150mg daily... its made me feel human again but i still love my choccy 😛

Jay xx

• Posted

Thanks Jay :-) already take B6 I think mine will be eat less and exercise! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.