Weight contol for anti psychotic medication

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a sufferer with schizophrenia and as such have been on a depot injection for five years and much as its very effective it has unfortunately slowed my metabolic rate to a virtual grinding halt, adding to my accompanying depression, also suffered, however today my Consultant told me about a tablet that can help with weight gain called Orlistat, I have yet to discuss it's suitability for me with my GP and see about going on it but I just wondered if any of you who find the weight gain with anti psychotic medication a bit heavy going had heard of it or been prescribed it, any responses welcome and I'll keep you all posted, seeing GP in three weeks. Best wishes Fiona

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi a friend of mine put on a lot of weight coz of cancer treatments etc.  so he was given what he called a 'fat burner pill' on prescription.  I don't know the name of it and it did work but one of the problems was that if he ate too much fat his er..dooh daas smelt horrible as the fat is passed straight through the system.    It  can be worth it though I am sure.  Good luck with it.  x
    • Posted

Thanks, although I'd have thought cancer itself and the various treatments would make you lose weight I'd anything x
    • Posted

He had advanced prostrate cancer and also had female hormones and lots of steroids.  That must be why.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.