Weight gain ???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. Has anyone put on much weight through their peri time? Well, according to the scales at my doctor's surgery, I've put on 1 1/2 stone this year but my clothes still feel the same. I look in the mirror and I don't look much different, at least I don't think I do. My cousin (a bloke) came round this morning and said I don't look any different to how I normally look, and he was flabbergasted when I said I weigh 11 1/2 stone (I/m 5ft 4in). I'm still curvy, I still have a waist. I can still fit into most of my size 12 clothes. Lara confused. Has anyone experienced similar ??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura

I definately put weight on, increased by nearly 2 stone.... not sure if it was peri or the fact that i had stopped smoking. I went from a 10 to a 12 and no matter what i do i can not get back to my size 10 frown 

I can tell  so much its as if i have developed a rubber ring around my tummy and my boobs  have definately increased in size cheesygrin

It was getting me down now i dont give a dam as long as i am healthy whats a few extra pounds. I might think differently if i was going to put a bikini on lol

Mrs D xx

• Posted

Hi Lara 

i was the opposite.. never been over weight .. but lost weight..

jay xx

• Posted

Same here. Ive put on about a stone. Stopped smoking 3 months ago and was deliberately eating more, just to get over the cravings. I knew I would put on weight. So last month I did my usual sort of diet combined with a good exercise regime. This would normally have the weight falling off. But this time it seems impossible to shift. Im putting it down to a combination of menopause and stopping smoking, but its really getting me down. Im wondering if its got anything to do with my thyroid function, or if Im just becoming a frump! Aggghhh! My friend , who is 70 and really slim, said she starved herself after she turned 50. Seems a bit drastic!
    • Posted

Hi Debs 

I stopped smoking in June 2013 too.. 😃

good gal.. You should be proud of yourself 

😃

jay xx

• Posted

Debbie

Don't let it get you down just think its like an extra layer  to get you through the winter cheesygrin 

Wait until the spring and then think about weight loss ready for the summer. Thats my plan anyway.

I would rather gain a few extra pounds that smoke. Are you saving what you save? i have and still do put money away every week without fail.(my secret stash) it soon builds up.

Mrs D xx

• Posted

Hi Lara yes I've gained about half a stone :-( it felt like I just woke up one morning and there it was!!  My OH likes the fact some of the weight has gone to my boobs! But the rest is in my middle.  Basically we have to eat less calories during this time but a health advisor told me its better to have extra weight during menopause as it helps x
    • Posted

Hi Tracky 

it just means that is a womans larger then she stores hormones up in the fatty tissue longer ...

jay xx

• Posted

Unfortunately, for me the opposite happened. I am 40 and started going into peri at age 35 after I had my son. I had my daughter last year at age 39 and went full force into the peri symptoms. After I had her I weighed 160-ish from about May of 2013 to about September of that year. In February of 2014 I went down to about 155lbs. Then Iin April I weighed 150. I think in large part I was losing weight because my body was modifying itself after giving birth but also I was on a blood pressure medication which had a diuretic component with it. So it was flusing fluid out of me. Once I stopped taking the BP meds (I no longer needed it), my weight continued to decline without me trying to. This of course had me worried. But my doctors were happy that my weight since it was within the normal BMI. But I am used to being more curvey. I look the way I did in my 20's and I guess I should be happy.  But in my 20's I was top heavy and had no waist or rear end. After I had the baby, I was finally pleased with my figure because I was like an hour glass. But now I lost all my curves below and some up top. I have learned that weight loss is sometimes something that women experience during peri. I can only hope that once I actually stop seeing my cycle altogether that the weight will return in the right places. Lol!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.