weight gain

Posted , 30 users are following.

I am on seretide once in the morning and night and sabutomol when needed. I wos put on singulair a couple of months ago and had side effects so came off it. I have had asthma for about 4 months now and i have put half a stone on and can not shift any weight at all since going on seretide. I know it is supposed to go into ur lungs but sum of it does distribute into ur body. Does any 1 else have a problem with their weight. x

5 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jeanettylips,

I have never taken seretide, but my best friend was on it and she put on a considerable amount of weight. She did used to take a pretty high dose.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi there...

Ive never had seretide...but recently (same as you) have been diagnosed with Asthma...Im on Clenil Modulite as a preventer and Ventolin as and when required...As for weight gain...join the club...!!!...Ive always been slim toned and pretty much in good shape...I work out daily and have never been overweight in my life...(apart from pregnancy)..Now ive developed this huge rounded belly that resembles a five month pregnancy and gained half a stone...!!!...So i can sympathise with you...Nothing i do has changed my shape or weight.. sad ..Its a mystery to me and my Doc...She says its not possible to gain the weight as most of the drug is absorbed by your lungs...!!!..Well after reading your post i now know this isnt the case...and there must be more of us out there with the same probs..

Any others out there with similar experiences..??...Let us know...

Cheers

Titch

xxx

• Posted

Hi Titch, I am so glad to read your comments, I am just the same, I've always been of slim build, my weight has never been an issue yet these last few years I felt bigger but the worst part is my stomach it looks like you said , a 5 month pregnancy size, my clothes dont look the same on me and I cant face going out anymore because it looks awful, I may try stopping the brown inhaler as I've tried to work out why my stomach has got like this and now this could possibly be the cause yet the nurse told me I wouldn't put weight on due to it being such a low amount of steroid but Im beginning to disagree.
  • Posted

Yes I have put on a large amount of weight, and feel hungry all the time. I use Glenhil inhale night and morning. I am in my 70's,don\"t gulp! I know elderly people put on weight, but I was a a reasonable 10 stone, now I am 11 stone 6lbs. I was a steady 9,6 to 10 stone before using Glenil, and could lose weight easily just by walking or extra housework. I am told by the medical profession that Glenhil does not make one gain extra weight. This answer had me baffled, as I have never put on so much weight in so short a period in my life time, and I find it very had to lose it, even though I am very active. Also so my throat is so dry sometimes I can hardly speak, and is very tight and sore. Yes Glenhil does help my mild Asthma or mucous factory as I call it, but the other affects are

depressing. I have draws full of clothes I cannot now wear, and I am in

those blessed elasticated trousers. For one that has always been in first with fashion clothing, or style, I am now reduced to a fashion closer looking to a Gardner. Gutted!

• Posted

I had the most dreadful experience with Seretide, which has left me with long term health problems. The asthma, though, was marvellous on it which was why it took me so long to realise what was going on. My doctor was largely unsympathetic and doesn't believe me anyway. In my experience, the steroid passes through the cell walls of the lungs into the bloodstream and once there it has a long \"half life\" so can build up over a period of time to a level which can interfere with the natural steroid production in the body. My adrenal glands stopped functioning properly over a period of two years. Don't let anyone tell you that this only happens with high dose inhalers - it depends how sensitive you are to the steriod. I was taking the lowest dose inhaler at half the recommended rate. My biggest problem was weight gain which I am having the devil's own job shifting. This makes the asthma worse so it's a vicious circle. I stopped the inhaler almost three years ago and changed to another one. I had so many symptoms of seemingly serious diseases all at once I thought I was going mad! Galloping weight gain/severe stomach pains, severe headaches, loss of use of my left arm, swollen feet, severe depression, extreme fatigue to name but a few. Eventually I had a stupid accident - tripped over my own feet rushing out of the house and fell flat on my face on the front lawn. I didn't even do myself any serious physical damage but I went into shock and passed out for about half an hour. It was at that point that I googled all the symptoms and discovered that I most probably had adrenal suppression.

My advice to anyone taking this is to monitor yourself very closely. If you notice anything like the above go back to your doctor as this is incredibly difficult to recover from once established.

• Posted

I'm male, 38 years of age. Have always been slim, apart from a period in my mid 20's when my asthma was particularly bad and I was prescribed a steroid inhaler. Back then, my weight went up to over 14stone (I'm usually arounf the 12.5 mark). I stopped and I slimmed down, considerably.

I didn't put the weight gain down to the inhaler, I just thought it was lifestyle.

Over the las year I have been taking Pulmicort and then went on to Clenil... and sure enough, my weight this time has rocketed. Back to 14stone from 12 this time and I've just realised (by seeing this forum) that it is down to the inhaler. THere can be no other reason seeing as I eat very healthily, usually have a high motabolism and go to the gym three - four times a week.

My stonmach became bloated, so much so that I would joke about it to family and people would comment. I was at the point I had to wear the only two pairs of jeans that would fit.

So I am going to continue with my lifestyle but stop the Clenil (that replaced the pulmicort at Christmas). FWIW when I took the clenil, my weight increased further. I was incredibly unhappy, miserable even. I went down to a calorie intake fo 600 a day and have beeb going to the gym (burning on average 800cals) and I have since lost 7lbs. I'm going to stop the steroid inhalers and see how I go. I mean, I went from having a sick pack to literablly a bulging belly that I never noticed until it was just there.....

So regardless of what the medical profession say, steroid inhalers DO make you gain weight. In fact, I asked the pharmacist at the local boots when I collected the inhalers today and she said I would possibly see a slight increase... oh, and that I should rinse my mouth out with water immediately after as I could end up with a dry mough and or thrush.

Just thought I would share.

Dan.

• Posted

Hi titch well im glad im not alone! your not the only one who has piled the weight on sad i go running 4 times a week and eat healthy, i also have asthma and take the clenil inhaler, i went to see my doctor as i wasnt happy with the weight gain and dnt know why im gaining instead of losing! she said the only other thing she could think of was the steroid inhaler so ive come off it to see if it makes any difference, i look 3 months pregnant!

i really hope it is that, ive also increased my calories as i was only having about 900 to 1000 a day

• Posted

Ditto to al lthe above and doubly upset given I am a type II diabetic who uses diet control. This has caused 3-4kgs weight gain and my BG is now under pressure. None of tis is good and I am really upset about it.
  • Posted

hello,

i just want to share with you my experience with seretide! i am already taking 2 puffs of seretide discuss 500 in the morning and 2 before going to bed. i am really having a difficulty in controlling my weight even-though i eat very healthy lebanese food and i do not eat a lot! i do exercises also!

so welcome me to the club of seretide haters!!!

• Posted

Hi. I too am on seratide 500 discuss , I was told one puff morning and night ,and yes I have difficulty controlling my weight , but I hadn't put it down to any of my inhalers,migh give it a miss for week see if I lose any weight ,
  • Posted

I've been taking Seretide for over a year at 2000/200 per day, so double the max licensed dose. I've had no problem with weight gain and it improved my asthma significantly. smile
  • Posted

Hi, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with the weight gain issue on seretide. I take 500 dose in the morning and at night and I'm so depressed at the weight I have piled on since starting the medication. I'm also on singular and slo-phyllin. At first I wasn't sure if was the medication however decided to search online to see if other people had a similar problem with weight gain. I just cannot shift the weight no matter how I control my diet :-(

I feel like a pot bellied pig all the time, it's horrible so decided I would just stop the seretide. Aware this might be dangerous for me but I will take my reliever if need be, willing to try anything.

• Posted

Hi ,Ito am on seratide 500 one in morning and night , my consultant put me on slo-Phyllin am and pm but I had to stop as the side effects were so bad,
  • Posted

I would be very surprised if an inhaled steriod alone was the route of your weight gain. A lot of the time it is a mixture of lowered mobility, which can be brought on by feeling less able to exercise and knowing that steriod can cause weight gain which turns into a self fulfilling prophecy.

I am on symbicort 200/6, four puffs three times a day, as well as Beclomethasone two puffs twice a day and oral steriod tablets at 40mg once a day, and I have experienced some weight gain, but I am on a lot of inhaled and oral steriod.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.