WEIGHT GAIN

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been taking amitriptyline for a long time now a the strength of 75mg at night and I have put on a lot of weight, despite being very careful of what I eat..no sugar, no fat or junk food. I exercise every day too. I cannot lose the weight no matter what I do and I wondered if someone else had the same symptoms? Im not sure if its the meds or not, but any feedback from anyone else in the same situation would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello marie. I only take 20 mgms at night and over the years I've gained weight, so yes I think it's a side effect unfortunately.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! I just wish that the doctors would warn people of this before they give you the meds though...it would make life a lot easier.
    • Posted

They are probably worried that if they tell a women there's a possibility of weight gain we may not take the medication
    • Posted

That could well be, but they should at least make you aware when you are taking the stuff that this happens. I have been on every starvation diet you can think of, and never lost a pound - on the contrary, I have put it on which is just SO soul destroying. Anyway, going to the docs this afternoon to tell her that Im coming off it, but I have to do it slowly...I had a very bad interaction earlier on this year between Sertraline and Amitriptyline which almost put me in hospital. Its funny though that, when you go to the docs, they dont admit that this is what it is...they just sent me home with no advice or anything and I had to get through it myself which was nothing short of a nightmare. 
    • Posted

Hi marie, I was on 50-75mg over 17 yrs, aswell as propananol, I also gained weight, I put it down to the latter, but I came of them 31/2 yrs ago, but stayed on armtriptyline, until August this year, I exercised and did the diets just like you, and I was the same, it has slowly come off since coming of propananol not as much as I liked, I'm hoping now I've come off armytriptyline, that was a struggle in itself, sleepless night for 2 months, anxious, and also losing my temper quickly, the weight will come off aswell, I know it's going to be hard due to my age (50)oh and going through the menopause, the joys....winkthe dr has put me on anti depressants to help me sleep, and I suppose alter my mood wink , good luck Elaine xx
    • Posted

marie I just came onto this discussion to find out what people like or don't like about Amitriptyline. I'm on 45mg of Miritazapine and 10mg of Zolpidem (Ambien) at the moment and my Dr. has commented on switching to Amitripyline for depression and sleep. Sleep is a big factor. I take two other meds  that keep me awake and he thinks Amitriptyline  may work.  But from what I've read on the net and from my prescription guide book, I'll have to think some more about it.

My book lists a page and a half of interactions with Amitriptyline other drugs., one being sertraline: can lead to heart rhythum problems. DO NOT COMBINE.

Weight gain seems to be a common trait with antidepressants. Mirtazapine does the same thing. I'll keep reading more about Amitripyline before I let my Dr. know if I want to go on Amitriptyline. But the 6 pages writen up in the pharmacy book has me leaning away.

• Posted

I know marie I'm the same. Before I took these I could lose weight easily. Then when I struggled to lose anything once I started taking them I just blamed my age! Now it's a losing battle.
  • Posted

I have to say that I have been experiencing exactly the same. Only I am on quietipine/zopiclone. Sounds like they are all the same. Weight gain left me feeling really uncomfortable too. I too am going back to the doctor as going through all this not sure tablets are helping either..
  • Posted

Yes when I started taking 30mg I was under 18st now I'm 20st it helps me have a good night sleep got chronic pain In my back disc problems I can't exercise as it hard to walk 
  • Posted

I’m new to this discussion group. Currently I take two seizure meds that cause insomnia. The dosage of one of them was just increased. I also take mirtazapine for depression and sleep and also a zolpidem (Ambien) for sleep. It’s 5 a.m. and I haven’t slept. Before my dosage was increased, mirtazapine worked and I only took a zolpidem when I needed one. My Dr. suggested going on amitriptyline. I’ve looked up amitriptyline in my prescription pharmacy book and it looks like there is a long list drug interactions, it suggests having a regular heart check when taking this med., having your liver checked every 6 mos.,… It also notes that excessive vit. C can blunt the effect of the drug. And it also list what every antidepressants do: weight gain.

If you go a mirtazapine site, there are more than a few unwanted side effects people are experiencing. And for some people, it’s very hard to stop it; it needs to be slowly tapered off.

The worst side effect for me is a lack of motivation. I have things to do but my mind tells me I’ll get to it later. Does anyone have this problem with amitriptyline? 

• Posted

I have been taking ami for 10 months and have gone from 10 mg to 100 mg over this timespan. I was taking it for migraine prevention even though I was suffering from chronic headaches plus panic attacks (wrong diagnoses). It has helped my anxiety so I kept taking it (daily headaches still occur) but it has made me gain 20 pounds (1.4 stone). My food cravings are worse but I am still good about moderation and yet the weight keeps going up. It was when I went over 50mg that I noticed. I am going to try and wean myself off of it and see if I can take something else for anxiety.

• Posted

I take mine for chroinc pain in my back only on 30mg per night since last May

Found im eating more sweet carving was awful At Christmas the side effects too are hangover the next day I'm also on tramadol too

• Posted

Hi Marie, I have been on 100mg for years and it wasn't until I started excercising regularly that I realised the weight would not shift. I tried everything. I was doing Water Arobics 5 times a week, boxing and on the treadmill. My doctor, (insensitive man) told me to go to 'Weight Watchers'! I was taking them to keep me asleep as my back problem was waking me up when I turned over. I have put on at least 3 stone. I consulted another doctor who suggested cutting them down to one a night for 2 weeks and then 1 every other night for 2 weeks. She has replaced them with Melatonin which is natural. I haven't started them but I will let you know how I get on. If you stop, please make sure you do it slowly.

• Posted

I have been on amitriptylin for over 20 years for headaches 100mg at night and have gained weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.