Weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi girls, I'm four years into meno & actually starting to feel like I'm improving!  However I have gained a stone through meno but mainly my breasts are bigger.  Is that just because I'm presumably still eating too many calories or is that typical of menopause?

any tips please.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ally

I think its typical of menopause, I havent done anything different eating and exercising the same but I noticed a gradual weight gain on my hips and abit more on my tummy. I have had to cut my calories down (plus reducing the carbs) to see a reduction of weight! X

• Posted

Hi am the same cant stop eaten junk and putting on weight but am sure the menopause plays a part in it as well.
  • Posted

This is very common with menopause.  And there is an explanation.  When our ovaries can no longer produce estradiol, our bodies attempt to give us some estrogen.  Estrone, the estrogen that is predominant in menopause, is created in fat cells.  So our bodies put on more fat, hoping to supply us with estrone.  Those larger inflated balloon boobs that come with menopause, are a part of this hormone imbalance.

Lovely, aren't they?  

• Posted

Thanks all for your comments. I have heard that weight gain in menopause is actually for a reason I.e. Estrogen.  What a joy though I thought I'd seen the end of full boobs after breastfeeding ended.

I eat a lot less than I used to but it still sticks to my hips etc! Joy!!

Are you all converted to the no carbs fashion?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.