weight gain

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi , does anyone have any issue's with weight gain ? Im taking pregablin and morphine ... 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gabapentin will put 20 pounds on you in 4-6 weeks.  Not a chance I'd take it.

• Posted

Hi, I've been taking both the Pregabalin and Morphine for 5 years now and my weight keeps yo-yoing it's unreal.

I even joined Slimming World to offset it, I have since moved to Gabapentin and Reltabon instead and now I'm thinking about it my weight is settling down all I have to do now is lose what I gained.

I hope you find the right combination for yourself and make sure you challenge the prescription that your doctors have kept you on as your body become tolerant of meds which leads you to increased strengths or quantity!

• Posted

The problem is that users of Lyrica and Neurontin (Pregabalin and Gabapentin) almost universally report weight gain.  This is a major side effect of the drug.  Maybe a strict diet and exercise can make a difference...don't know.  But I did take Gabapentin one time for a month and gained 20 pounds.  Stopped immediately; weight fell off.  Tried Lyrica...did nothing.

My daughter, who is a graduate nutritionist from Rutgers University, started me on a product called  P L E X U S  about four years ago.  Little packet, mix with 12 oz. of water, drink it in the morning.  Over the course of 11 months, I lost 57 pounds...and have kept it off.  Really curbed my desire for fat and junk so I ended up naturally eating healthier without even thinking about it.  Worked for me.

Question...  Why are you on morphine for five years???  I wouldn't think that possible...

• Posted

HI Chico,

It's been a while since our last conversations, I have never heard of Plexus is that an American product? 

I have been on Morphine at sadly increasing levels for more than the 5 yrs it's nearer 6 owing to the severe pain from the degenerative discs and spinal stenosis. I do try not taking the meds for a few days to see if they are actually needed and although the pain doesn't increase initially I find by day 3-4 that I have no doubt that pain relief meds or other treatments are most definitely needed. I'm going for a MRI Spine Thoracolumbar scan on 2nd at the Walton Liverpool as the precursor to a Lumbar Laminectomy of which I am pinning a lot of hopes on it being a big relief to the back pain and the associated Sciatica.

• Posted

America, Canada, don't know where else.  Google their website.  You can see from the pic the difference it made in me.  At 242, I was a huge Italian meatball!!!  Got down to 185...would love 175...my hockey weight in my 30's and 40's (I'll be 70 next week).  Working on it.  Too much downtime from four ops in 22 months.  Knee replacement, spinal LLIF fusion, wrist repair and a spinal laminectomy last month.  Paying for 45 years of hockey...  Just gotta get moving again...been tough...

I had my first laminectomy almost 6 years ago for severe sciatica.  Nothing worked.  Turned out my neuro found a bone spur literally "crushing" (his term) my sciatic nerve root at L4.  Cleaned out L4 through S1.  Pain gone immediately.

October '16 got really bad stenosis (like sciatica down BOTH legs).  A CT/Myelogram with contrast (the "gold standard" test for the spine) located the foraminal narrowing problem at L2/L3 as the source.  Since I was already fused L3 through S1, doc gave me a choice of removing all the hardware and re-fusing me L2 through S1...or...

A Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF).  "Lateral" because the go in from the side, not the back. Here's more...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-expandable-spacer-570509

See the pics (pre-op lateral, post-op posterior and post-op lateral).  Woke up and ALL the pain was gone!!!  Walking the halls, climbing stairs...ZERO pain!!!  One overnight, no rehab, no brace.  A truly miracle op.  Search YouTube for "Globus LLIF" for a cute animation.  Consider it...

• Posted

What size doses are you taking and how lond have you been taking these drugs ?

I was on 450mg a day Pregabalin when I was in hospital for seven months in 2015 and have been on 225mg a day since I was released from hospital just over two years ago, had no issue with weight gain.

(cutting the dosage in half made no difference whatsoever to the pain level, but can feel nerve pain if I go under that dose size)

Maybe it affects people in different ways regarding weight gain.

They had me on Amitriptyline as well which made me sleep like a log. When I found out it was also used as an anti-depressant I refused to take them any more.

• Posted

OMG yes serious weight gain. But I've had so many side effects that I'm in the process of coming off gabapentin, I've cut them dwn to 1x300mg tablet.

I'd say 7 out of 10 ppl say they r the worst tablets ever

3 out of 10 say gabapentin works for them.

Look up side effects on the internet common and rare, I've had about 7 of the rare and most ppl do. If id if know then about them I wud never have taken them. They haven't been FDA approved for anything else but epilepsy.

• Posted

I was lucky I suppose, had no side affects (that I am aware of yet) from the Baclofen or the Pregabalin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.