Weight gain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on 80 of P'lol for a number of years and up to a year ago was also taking Effexor, I was having trouble losing weight and I read up on Effexor and it is well known that this A/D causes weight gain so I took along time weaning off and within 6 months I had slipped into a deep depression again so I was prescribed Sertraline and my gp also increased my P'lol to 80mg x2, so after 5 months I have started to have lots of side effects, the main one is a wheezy chest and shortness of breath, so I checked my info sheet which comes with the meds and it seems the Propranolol may be the cause, so on further research what do I discover?, WEIGHT GAIN is also a side effect!!! 

I was just wondering if anyone else also has gained weight taking this med! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kaye,

I was on Propranolol and it caused asthmatic like feelings in my chest. I stopped it and they went away!! I was taking the Propranolol for ectopic heart beats which are awful! It didn't help that condition either. Actually it made it worse! Probably because Propranolol causes upset digestion which in turn cause the ectopic heart beats. Now I'm off everything!!

Best of luck!

• Posted

I have gained 75lbs in 4yrs on propranolol 60mgs twice a day my doctor tried me on topiramate 25mg, twice now but the side affects are to much for me, dizzy extreme dizziness i guess id rather be fat tha dizzy very unhapoy.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, I'm convinced these have stopped me losing weight and I've been on a calorie controlled diet, I truly thought it was my A/D's that were stopping me from losing, but it makes sense now that this med slows not only your heart rate but everything else,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.