Weight Gain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there ANYTHING out there to try and stop the food cravings and weight gain while on Pizotifen?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Not really.  It was worth it for me as it really worked for my migraine. I put up with the weight gain.  However, I stopped taking it after 20 years as it just made me feel so tired.  Get a lot more migraines again now though.
    • Posted

Hi Chloe.

Ive just stopped taking mine after 18 years, it's been almost 2 weeks now and I feel totally worn out. No migraine as yet and do feel less brain fogged. Not sure if the weight will come off. Lost 2lb last week after being stuck at same for ages. Did you lose any of the weight when you came off them? Are you back on them? Good luck

• Posted

Hi, yes I did lose weight.  Also felt less brain fogged.  However, after I gave them up for a year I did have a year of terrible migraines, but I'm not going back on them, as I was worried about the long term effects of them - there doesn't seem to be much information known.  My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline instead but when I read the info, it sounded worse than the pizotifen, ie. feeling tired and spaced out - so I never took them.  Currently I am using Buccastem to prevent sickness (which doesn't always work and just delays it unfortunately).  Have also given up a huge range of food!  Good luck to you too!

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for your reply Chloe. Sorry to hear your not sorted properly with your migraine meds yet.

Have you heard of Topamax?  It's mentioned on this site. Although that as some side effects but also it apparently reduces appetite. I've got my review soon at doctors so I'm going to ask. Will let everyone interested know.

Take care 🤗

• Posted

Hi Tracey/Chloe, I asked my doctor about Topamax and she said no. She said it's an absolute last resort when nothing else works. Up put on 30 kilos while on Pizotifen. I've tried lots of things to lose weight. The only time i lost weight was when I'd been on it for 2 years and was exercising excessively and on a very strict diet. O changed my meds to propananol which is what I was on before Pizotifen for 20 years and it stopped working. Didn't work this time either. I am so down because of my weight and just don't know what to do!

• Posted

Hi Heidi!

Bless you. You are honestly not alone with this problem. I stopped taking them exactly 2 weeks ago today. Not put on anymore but not list any either although been on a strictish diet. I've been on Pizotifen over 15 years so maybe it will take more time for them to leave my system fully. Had no withdrawals really so maybe I had come immune to them anyway. Not had a migraine either. So your not on Pizotifen now and still not losing weight? Keep at it Heidi x

• Posted

I am on Pizotifen. Only thing that works unfortunately. I'm too scared to go off them as my migraines are so bad it scares me. I've started at the gym today and cutting out sugar so hopefully it helps.

• Posted

Good girl for joining gym. Your braver than me. I did the very low carb diet and lost loads first time. Went back on it after a holiday break and suffered faintness sickness and all day headaches so stopped. I'm using my fitness pal at mo and stayin just 1'200 calories a day! It's slow going and only losing slowly that's why I came off Pizotifen after reading this thread. Lost 2lb the first week after being stuck at same for ages while being extremely good. So thought they was something in it about Pizotifen causing weigh gain. But this week I have stuck. If my migraines start again I will prob go back to Pizotifen. I've just turned 50, going thro menopause and also been 1 year smoke free. So all these changes maybe effect in my weight. It's so frustrating and knocked my confidence so much. That's why I fully understand you Heidi. Good luck with your sugar free but watch out for headaches!! 

• Posted

make sure you eat the correct foods  and balance it out with exercise
    • Posted

I have been going to the gym and eating healthy and haven't lost any weight. Really gets me down!

• Posted

i can imagine i'm not really  suren what else you could do try speaking to a professional

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.