Weight gain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am getting the same feedback about gabapentin. ... I feel like I've put 2 stone since I started taking them... im at my wits end

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How well I cam relate to that!!  Not residing in GB, I had to refresh my memory to find out how much that was in US weight. The minute I presented my Rx to my pharmacist, she warned me that I would put on weight and I should watch my diet for sure. I was mildily amused at first.  I went home and read all about the side effects and weight gain was only a minor issue. Yet... I gained at least a pound a week for 4 weeks before I decided that either I had to diet or stop taking the drug.  I have tons  of chronic pain from a bad spine and 2 bad knees, so weight gain was not in my best interest.  I didn't go on any fancy diet , just ate what I would ordinarily eat, but cut back on the volume at every meal. Soon, I was finding that the lower volume of food and snacks was just fine and the added weight fell off and then some.

?Try to lose the weight, just a little at first and see how that goes.  Just the added 4 pounds made me miserable. I don't know why these drugs on a molecular level cause this effect.  

• Posted

98450 I am curious, are you or were you on both Gabapentin and Prozac? I am searching for others who were on Prozac for an extended period of time (for me it was 30 years) and then prescribed Gabapentin. I am looking for people like ME who are now expericing these type of issues: heart issues (hear murmur and heart rythym, chest pain), digestive issues/stomach problems, memory issues - short and long term, poor balance, insomnia, excessive sinus drainage, excessive saliva secretions, eye drainage, tinnitus, inner ear pain, vision issues such as blurred vision and eye pain, excessive sweating, feeling cold then hot then cold, cold feet, trouble with focusing/attention span, tremors, ticks & twitches all over, fatigue, change of taste, impaired judgment..... This list includes many but not all of my problems that I've experienced. I look forward to your response. I look forward to hearing your story and am interested in the commonalities we may share. Thanks in advance. I would say " I hope you are feeling better soon, and I do." That's what people say to me. However, I know that I am not going to and that is very disturbing! I will include you in my daily and nightly prayers. I don't know you and don't know your name but God knows you.

• Posted

Try weight watchers meals I've lost weight using them and I take 2600mg of Gab

Gone from 5 xl down to 3 xl

• Posted

I guess it varies from person to person. I am on 2700mg and my weight with no dietary adjustment has remained constant.
  • Posted

I have just been put on gabapentin today for severe LA pain and have had 2 compression fractures in back and a neck injury.

I am so worried about weight gain, but I will try anything to get rid of this horrible pain I suffer with every day.

Just wanted to know what side affects, if any, when I start meds tomorrow. I also take prozac for anxiety. Any information will be appreciated.

Been on prozac for 25 years or more

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.